ADVICE: Everyday Challenges Stuggling with Alcoholism

I have to start somewhere, and of course take things one day at a time. Although I feel like I’am definitely in the right place….and KNOW that I want to Sober up and slow down… it’s like the few bad/poor decisions in the past while being intoxicated HAUNTS me and the REGRET causes me to Drink more.:pensive: is there anyone out there who has any encouraging advice how to move past this…? What things can I practice to gain my confidence, and to heal and love myself again…

5 Likes

Hey @MorasMyMotivation14 ive found by stacking up sober days my confidence and self love pov have improved loads. Im 46 days free from weed and alcohol. Just take it one day at a time. You’ll hear that alot around here but its oh so true. Ive found getting involved here and zoom/in person aa meetings really help me

3 Likes

Thank you, and yes one day at a time… I’m greatful I have an outlet now, and realize I’m not alone.:crossed_fingers:t3:

3 Likes

That is a hard one and one we all had to work through. Regrets are killers to sobriety if you allow them to. For now, focus facing forward, healing your body, mind and spirit. Looking backwards can be dangerous. Over time as you get sobriety under your belt you will learn how to look at your past as learning experiences and as a measure of where you will need to make amends. For now, learn how to live life sober. Read posts here, go to meetings if you can. Try zoom meetings if you can’t physically go right now. Talk to other recovering alcoholics. There is a whole new world waiting for you if you want it bad enough.

5 Likes

I struggle with shame and regret too. What I am learning is that I can not change the past I can only work on building a better future and being better than the person I was when I made those mistakes. Self love is also something I haven’t been living out. I told myself that I need to invest in myself and my health and we’ll being. Instead of wasting money on booze I am saving money for things I want that bring me joy :heart: welcome here, lots of supportive people

4 Likes

I really appreciate that guys… it helps to know Iam not alone❤️…Any suggestions/recommendations on where to start for zoom meetings?

Hi and welcome! The 24/7 zoom Women’s meeting is 928.9414.8568 and pass code is Billw

3 Likes

First thing is to not be so hard on yourself. You’re doing exactly what you need to do for your recovery. And that is talk about whatever is going on … Whether good or bad. The confidence will slowly come back. Everybody has things they struggle with. Whether you’re an alcoholic or drug addict or not. You make it through this by doing what you can do today. Surround yourself with people that are moving forward. Right now keep things basic. Use this time to find out what you want. Explore new hobbies or work on things you put to the side… With time you’ll be able to look back and face your fears and you’ll be able to look back at memories that bother you and you’ll realize it’s just part of your story and it’s OK. You start with tonight. Can you get through tonight without drinking or doing drugs? Tomorrow you have a brand new day. You get through this by communicating and staying busy with positive things… journal about how you’re feeling… keep reading through this community because There is endless help and so many people who understand

4 Likes

@maxwell THANKS!

1 Like

Here is the other that is both men and women 292.371.2604 I wish you all the best, keep posting, tons of support here! :heart:

1 Like

With the zoom meetings, you can leave your camera off if you’d like, and just listen.

1 Like

I’ve been 4 days sober and the one thing that motivates me is realizing all the amazing things I can do sober. Think about all things you can do sober vs drunk. It will be challenging but this community of people are right behind you. You got this girl. :heart::heart::heart::heart: Message me so we keep pushing each other to greatness!

3 Likes

I found this really inviting aa beginners meeting on zoom with amazing welcoming energy. They celebrate everyones sober days, a chair leads for about 20min then its open to shares. Everyday at 8pm central. Check it out if youd like: https://www.aabeginnerspath.com

1 Like

Full disclosure and a little background…im early in my recovery and started out sober curious but got serious in may.

ive been binge drinking for the last 20 years, its progressed from just weekends to thursdays and sundays, then almost everyday when i lost my job.

My first real attempt at stringing together some sober days was “dry january” 2022 …because its socially acceptable to say you partied too much during the holidays and youre focusing on your health without having to admit you have a drinking problem. I struggled! Made it 30days and celebrated by drinking. I know… The irony is not lost on me.Then i tried moderation.

I liked sober me from january so i was gonna do dry march… Then i lost my job and spiraled. So hubby and i decided enough lets do dry may. Because commiting to never drinking again is daunting. So i committed to trying another 30 days

but something happened in my mind in those first two weeks. I loved this sober community and didnt want to fall off the wagon and lose this fellowship. I admitted to myself that i am addicted to drinking and started attending zoom aa meetings. I found people who were high on life, loving sobriety, rolling with lifes punches and had faith in a god of their understanding. I want what so many people have experienced through aa. I havent personally started working my steps but am doing recognizance atm lol

Just taking it one day at a time and making the decision everyday not to drink just for today :slight_smile:

4 Likes