Advice? I hate AA

You are free to talk about what you believe in, I would never dictate you should stop talking about your viewpoint in the world. That is what adult level respect is…allowing conversation to happen when one disagrees on the viewpoint.

5 Likes

I don’t mind hearing others journeys or what helps them, we are all different but I also know it doesn’t work for me so I love that I’ve gotten so many other suggestions on things I can try. I’m going to look up your suggestion. Thank you!

1 Like

I think the person with the problem here is you. As I’ve said above I don’t believe in God, but I won’t slam someone who does.

3 Likes

Lots of atheism threads here as well, but if you are looking for things to complain about I’m sure you can find those too. You should check out some of @Mephistopheles threads. As for me not talking about my higher power, well that’s not going to happen. That’s a big part of my sobriety and if it bothers you so much I’m sure someone can show you how to mute me.

5 Likes

I went back for the first time in 12yrs 2 weeks ago. Said i would never go back. Some things had issues with and the other probably i wanted to drink more. I know its the only thing that worked for me. I had a problem with god too. Sponsor made me keep it simpñe with that. Its still God now i just sprinkled in a few wrinkles:)

1 Like

Haha love you said you put in a wrinkles, that’s so true for me and life as well

1 Like

See just from this thread ive found other resources- which makes me hopeful. Idk if I’m ready for a zoom meeting yet. I’m super shy and truthfully a little afraid! I really think I need to do A LOT more research on the suggestions everyone has made and A LOT more trying instead of getting discouraged and thinking “oh this just isn’t for me.” This is my first post here and it’s really opened my eyes at what I just didn’t know even existed. Thank you!!!

2 Likes

You don’t have to have you mike or camera on you can sit there anonymous.
Things is, we have to step outside that comfort zone.
Anything that seems scary is the way to go.

2 Likes

Well, I think that you’re going to like it, actually. I was very much in the same boat as you, the whole concept of these excessively (IMHO) religious meetings was just too much for me. I very much prefer the more pragmatic (and simple) approach that can be found in that book.
As you’ll read, there are some VERY easy “step” to follow, but nothing like a 12-step or anything like that… it’s more a question of “read the chapters in order and don’t jump ahead” type of thing.
If you ever want to talk about it, I’m here !!
You can do it, we all can.

1 Like

Thank you so much - this is my first attempt at sobriety using tools like this support group, books, etc. so even though I’ve attempted numerous times and dabbled in AA I still feel very “green” I may take you up on that offer.

1 Like

No worries ! You would be very welcome to do so… but I’m not sure if it would be a question of ME helping YOU, or of YOU helping ME ! :slight_smile:
We all need some help from time to time.
Enjoy the book… lots of good stuff in there.

4 Likes

Also abhore religion talk. So always felt like I’d be oddball out. And group therapy is hard with such social anxiety. If I don’t even want to come to my niece’s birthday party, I don’t want to sit with strangers and talk about myself.

First if all welcome.
Secondly, it’s not religious.
Thirdly, read around a bit. Look at how your drinking is similar to others in here and actually in the rooms.
If you read around, you will find out that you don’t actually have to say or do anything.
It’s all about staying connected with your journey.
I have used this forum.
Apart from a break for four months I’ve been on here pretty much daily for nearly two years. I’ve been sober for nearly two years.
Whatever it takes.
But if you read around you will find that out.

2 Likes

Hi Kat
I have been in and out of going to AA meetings for many years. The 12-step approach they suggest does not have to be religious, but offers a spiritual side, and is not the only approach to sobriety around as I’m sure you will find from reading here. I am not the best advocate of the AA approach and I definitely get what you mean about social anxiety and going to meetings. As @anon12657779 says you don’t have to say anything, you can try it on-line as well, it isn’t group therapy as we all find our own paths. At my first meeting (I went under duress by family members!) I turned up at the last minute, listened, and intended to leave straight at the end but found myself talking to some very friendly people and I was glad I tried it.
I do find it encouraging to be amongst friends with the same aim, in whatever setting and to find out if I had a drink problem, even if I don’t have a sponsor at AA and I am not a proponent of the suggested 12 steps myself as being the only way. It may or may not be for you, and it is worth trying more than one meeting as each one is different to see if you are comfortable with one.
There you go. I usually find myself being quite critical of AA but there are a lot of well meaning people there, in the right meetings, and I am glad to have given it a go. It is not for everyone but don’t be put off by the group setting and the suggested spiritual side. You won’t have to walk up and down the the street in robes, chanting and jangling bells. :slightly_smiling_face:
I hope you find here some useful insights to your relationship with alcohol and support, I know I have. Stick around. :pray: :+1:

5 Likes

I had a pretty long list of things I would not do to get sober. It started with stopping drinking - that seemed pretty radical and uncomfortable. Like @Kattrax421b, I declared myself a “not a group” person, and “atheist” - just building lists of reasons AA would not work.

When I stopped caring about what it took and just wanted desperately to get sober, that’s when I turned the corner.

6 Likes

When i went to my first meeting i was beat and i didnt give a f–ck if they mentioned god or the devil i wanted to get sober , sometimes we put up barriers and make excuses . keep on trucking

12 Likes

When I was drinking, I had to put up barriers and make excuses…it gave me a reason to drink.

6 Likes

I’m totally with you. I had to find an atheist AA group. But still, that whole higher power notion is nonsense to me. I was able to get sober by taking buspar. And the pancreatitis was also a major motivation.

There are books that offer atheist/agnostic 12 steps. See if they help.

1 Like