Advice needed about what else to abstain from?

Can anyone tell me about what else to keep away from to help with sobriety from alcohol? I’ve heard things like mouth wash, cold medicine, benadryl for sleep, as well as stimulants like caffeine and sugar? It this true, and are there others? I’m not physically addicted but a very long history of self medicating…binge style…but not daily. Any articles available?
Thanks🙂

I think it’s reasonable to stay away from things that might cause temptation, like anything with alcohol (mouthwash, cough medicine, cooking wine, vanilla extract etc.).

I stayed away from caffeine at first because my old routine involved caffeine and alcohol. After about 6 months I started drinking coffee again.

Sugar cravings seem to increase in people who get sober (myself included), I think it’s ok to indulge as it’s better than the alternative and no need to punish yourself THAT much. :wink:

Other things to stay away from, I would say places and people that you have a strong association with alcohol, even if it’s a room in your house (took me over a year for me to be able to go in my garage).

I think everyone is different and each of us have different things that tempt us, especially early on. If you find yourself being tempted by anything, get rid of it, even if its temporary.

Wish you well!

6 Likes

I’d say ultimately it’s up to you. If you think you are going to be affected by something then don’t use it.
I have alcohol wipes at work, but I’m not sat there sucking away on them.
I have used night nurse when I just wanted to sleep when I had a bad cold, fever etc. But I didn’t sit there swigging the bottle.
I don’t feel I " relapsed" either.
I’m an alcoholic but I ain’t that stupid.
As I said, if you feel you are going to be affected in anyway, mentally as well as physically. Don’t do it.

6 Likes

I take an antihistamine to help with sleep sometimes, it was prescribed for anxiety and/or sleep when I first got sober and still is to this day. I don’t take it often, but sleep is if the utmost importance to life, especially in early recovery.

I have to agree with @anon12657779. You can’t deprive yourself of everything right off the bat. It will probably reduce the chances of your success.

3 Likes

Watch out for medications such as diazepam, sleeping aids in general and I used to take a muscle relaxant for frequent pinched nerves that gets one high and gave me a major trigger! :flushed: Have rather endured the pain the last six months…

For coffee and sugar, as others have said, it’s more a contextual thing. I used to smoke an drink together, if I have a fag nowadays, I sometimes think of having a drink but can handle it. Be aware and take note of such associations of things. No need to cut out everything you enjoy, in my humble opinion. Best of luck to you!

2 Likes

Dehydration and hunger will make you crave alcohol. I try to drink 100 ounces of water per day more if I’m drinking a lot of coffee

1 Like

Thank You!

Pft, who said no sugar? Maybe to @Dejavu’s point, it depends on associations.

But I destroyed pounds of PB M&M’s in early sobriety. Was also exercising though and sugar wasn’t a thing tied to boozing for me. It felt right and helped me stay sober, so whatevs.

It really is a case-by-case question I’d guess. Anything that was related to drinking for you is worth considering at least taking a break from.

For a while I also declined parties and certain activities that often involved drinking. At least until I got my head screwed on straight with not wanting to drink. To this day I make sure I can excuse myself early if needed.

2 Likes

And caffeine is also a strange one to me. My personal experience would suggest to avoid it many hours before bed. I avoid all caffeine after lunch.

To me getting a proper sleep schedule is important to recovery and hard enough as it is. Doesn’t mean I can’t enjoy a morning cup of joe. Again though, coffee wasn’t ever tied to boozing for me.

2 Likes

Benadryl can help me sleep sometimes, other times it keeps me up…even the drowsy kind…go figure.

I certainly did NOT avoid sugar in early recovery. Sugar actually helped me self soothe early on and who doesn’t need a treat when coming off the alcohol?

Caffeine, sadly, I can only take in small doses. I love my morning coffee, but if I have more than one cup, I feel icky jittery (which is pretty ironic for a former coke head). Also if I eat a ton of chocolate later in the day, it keeps me up at night…which is not good.

In my experience, I had to find what worked and what didn’t for ME We are all unique beings with our own life experiences, ages, cultures, body chemistry’s, etc…so find what works (or doesn’t) for you. :heart:

2 Likes

I don’t think u need to abstain from anything other than alcohol, unless it triggers u. Personally I am still cooking with alcohol and ate some chocolate with alcohol in and consider myself sober.

2 Likes