Advice on staying sober

Need some advice on staying sober, I have 100%support from my wife but feel like I need other support. What helps you guys out?

6 Likes

Meetings and being around others who have my disease has been the most helpful thing for me. Staying scheduled in attending them and working at doing pretty much everything different than I did before.

2 Likes

This thread has a ton of helpful info! You can check it all out without having to wait for people to reply here :slightly_smiling_face:

3 Likes

Welcome Adam! :purple_heart: This is the place to find support for sure. Spend some time looking around and reading posts. You’ll find you are in good company with people who have walked in your shoes. I have found this app a HUGE help in staying sober.

1 Like

Other sobriety communities and fellowship. I participate here, my local AA (two meetings a week) and The Luckiest Club online meetings. This is my greatest tool in my toolkit.

5 Likes

Fellowship at AA meetings, phone calls with other alcoholics and this forum.

4 Likes

My advice is try a meeting makes it easier wish you well

4 Likes

AA and the 12 steps have been the single most important thing in my recovery.

5 Likes

You could do a zoom meeting without your camera if you’re anxious about attending.

2 Likes

My strongest tool is gratitude. Everyday, for 2 years and a little over a week plus, I come on here
Daily Gratitude List. Gratitude The Air Of Recovery
It’s my way of laying a good foundation to start my day. I got so much to be grateful for when I’m sober.
:pray:t2::heart:

5 Likes

Welcome and hope you have a fantastic sober journey!

What’s helped me is:

• Having a sober network to lean on
  • Picking up new coping tools
  • Dropping the people, places and things that kept me in that drunken run
  • Focus on myself to achieve growth
  • Invest in hobbies, new and old

Like many things in life, with sobriety, you get out what you put in. I’d suggest you go all in; the effort pays dividends.

Be well!

2 Likes

Sobriety is about change. In that way, it’s like re-directing a river (changing its direction, using channels, canals, etc - building structures to re-direct it). The river has been flowing through us - our habits - for so long it’s worn a riverbed. It’s possible to re-direct the river but it takes daily effort and maintenance to keep the river flowing in its new direction.

Which is a longwinded way of saying: you need a system, you need a community of people who are working on it with you, and you need to work it every day.

How did the Friday meetings go at your church?

1 Like