Afraid of my lack of motivation

I don’t have a lot of motivation to stay sober. Recovery works best I you want it for yourself.
As many of you know, my DOC is gaming. Gaming addiction is not very different from other addictions. Except for the lack of hangovers, shame, physical illnesses and it always being in reach. The only bad thing about gaming was my parents being hurt and being held back in school. I don’t remember the pain of being held back, because I started gaming as soon as I heard it to avoid feeling the pain. My only motivation now is the fear of disappointing my parents and disappointing you guys.
Yesterday was too close for comfort. I was only one mouse click away. Anyone know how I can motivate myself more?

2 Likes

There is a whole world out there. I missed it by drinking for 25 years. You will miss it by gaming. We get sober to experience life. What are some, tangible, things you want to experience?

1 Like

Where has your personal motivation gone?
Where is the “I’m doing this because I owe it to myself to be a better person” ?
What have you stopped doing to get here? I don’t really know your story, but what I’ve read of you, you do come across as a strong person.
Take a bit to look inside yourself and see where you’ve been lacking lately
You know the strength and fortitude to do this has to come from inside us.
:facepunch::metal:

1 Like

I want to climb mount everest. I want to go to a rainforest. I want to go to a place with no light pollution and see the nightsky. I want to be strong. I want to experience love from someone else than family. I want to run a marathon. I want to cycle the tour de france. I want to go to space, if commercial space flights will be more advanced and affordable within 50 years. I want to finish school. I want to finish university. I want to have children.
So many things I probably won’t achieve if I’m gaming, thank you

1 Like

I don’t currently have a goal to work on. Before I had school, but now it’s summer break. I should set a new goal. Something big. I am gonna practice to cycle a big circle around the Ijssel.

Sorry your having a rough time at moment it’s horrible when we loose motivation is there anything bothering you to feel like this ? As you know I lost my motivation for a good 6months and I just couldn’t get that motivation back no matter what I did … I got advised to chuck myself back into recovery and reach to my higher power I’m not sure if there’s a comunity for gaming addiction but I had to connect with other drug users to find my way again. I’m so pleased your reaching out I just wish I could help you more x

2 Likes

you helped more than you think. I should improve my relationship with God again. I lost a lot of faith when I was still gaming a lot and when I blamed him for the abuse I endured from my dad and for being “homeless” for a while(I was very lucky that a few families let me, my mom and my sister stay with them). I pray every night for 15 minutes, but I just can’t get myself to think about him during the day.
there is a community for gaming addiction, but there’s way too much relapse there and people pulling down others with them.

1 Like

That’s what I’m working on at moment my relationship with God. Remember whatever we have been through its over now we only have today . Sending you hope strength and courage your way x

1 Like

I’ll write a 100 item bucket list too and share it on here.

1 Like