Agitation and restlessness

Hi guys. Any of you feel this agitation, like a sense of restlessness when you try to stop drinking alcohol? What do you do to calm down?

2 Likes

When I first stopped I felt that. I felt like I couldnt stay still. I had to stay busy. The gym became a huge part of my life. Then i went down a rabbit hole of hobby searching. Since my only real hobby before was drinking I had all the time in the world! Lol. So i started fishing, archery, drawing, reading, small carpentry projects, basically anything I could get my hands on and burn time. The restlessness went away the more i worked the steps and my program. Hope this helps!

2 Likes

I wore a path in my carpet from pacing back and forth!! Not doing anything was no fun.

I found cleaning and reorganizing my house helped me focus and released that juice I had. Fortunately, years of neglect allowed a LOT of cleaning!

Also, I got into meditation. That helped a lot too!

1 Like

Studying neurology. How fascinating is the brain and how little psychologists and psychiatrists know about it in a direct relation with reality. Not everything is a neurone disorder, but it may be there among other things.

1 Like

Helped a lot. Giving a good thought I actually don’t have a hobby. Thank you!

1 Like

When I’m feeling restless I usually do some kind of physical activity. But before anything I usually reach out on here or call somebody if I’m struggling and then I will do like a walk or some kind of hobby or something. So you’re definitely making the first step by reaching out on here. That’s going to come in waves and with time you’ll learn how to be OK with those feelings. It’s like once you get a little bit tired you won’t be restless anymore. When I first got sober sometimes I would go on like 10 mile walks by the time I got home whatever was bothering me was not bothering me anymore. And also going by the acronym halt
Hungry , Anxious, lonely, tired… Almost always it’s one of these things and not actually related to wanting to drink. This will pass. And you will be stronger for getting through it. You got this

2 Likes