Alchol intolerance VS Alcohol allergy (poops) TW lol

Hey all, its been a while. I have a question im hoping someone here can help me with. When i drink i get really, really bad diarrhea. Is this considered an alllergy? Or just intolerance? Google gives me vague answers. I noticed that beer gives me really bad bathroom problems and liqour is a close 2nd. Anyone have experience with this? Im concerned about my gut health! I feel like a have IBS! I want to talk to my doctor , but I know sometimes its bettwr to ask people that may have experienced it or are currently experiencing the same problem. Thanks in advance!

1 Like

As i remember correctly, it’s called the dumps

Your body does not like what is experiencing and creates a dump like effect
I relate it towards allergy . The stomach and brain talk instantly. Your body is telling your mind no more please.

That’s my thoughts on the matter

1 Like

I once had an employee who drank very moderate amounts. Very little, only alcoholic drinks. Sometimes wine, even wine coolers.

Each time he drank he would turn red and had hot flashes. Once even had to go to the hospital. Turns out he could not process alcohol.

Saved his life

1 Like

First of all, stopping drinking will most likely minimize the issue. Secondly, go to your doctor and be honest. You had the same issue 6 months ago and by the sounds of it, you changed nothing about your lifestyle.

6 Likes

Also, don’t feel embarrassed, what’s happening to your body is MOST of what people don’t want to ask

“What’s happening to me?”

Very solid sobering question

1 Like

Thank you for all your replies. With alcohol affecting my health im definitely not embarrassed to ask! I appreciate all input.

Thank you for finding this. A very humbling reminder lol.

Yes ive read actual alcohol allergies are rare but it sounds like your buddy had it 100%.

1 Like

In my recovery, I know I have an allergy to alcohol. One drink sets the insanity off and I can not have just one drink safely.

That being said, I have a physical aversion/intolerance to alcohol too. My face would always get red and alcohol would run right through me often. I’d be in the bathroom emptying my guts while still at the bar many times. I’d also get nauseous fairly easily too in my very early days.

Despite my body hating it, I kept going and I built up my tolerance to where I didn’t have the same reactions as much…However I created permanant damage to my body and now have autoimmune conditions as a reminder for the rest of my life.

The body keeps score and it’s talking to you.

I don’t have these same issues now that I stopped drinking. My autoimmune conditions and my life is SO much more manageable too.

I definitely recommend putting in the work to quit because life isn’t miserable and unpredictable like that for me anymore. :heart:

3 Likes

Your gut is full of bacteria, the good kind, the kind that aids in digestion.

Alcohol kills bacteria. Without enough bacteria, your gut can’t function properly.

Sugar causes loose stool as well. Beer is full of carbs (sugar), Alcohol gets converted to sugars too, so… it’s a double whammy on your GI tract.

Quit drinking and you will go back to normal, as long as you eat a balanced diet and get plenty of fiber.

3 Likes

I always had the beer shits back when I was drinking. I would be in the bathroom non-stop :flushed:.

My bowel movements are normal now. As long as I don’t mess with dairy products.

2 Likes

Thank you for sharing! <3

Thank you!!

I restart my clock today. I want to detox my body and feel healthy. I havent been out of control with my drinking , but not sober by any means… I have been drinking these past couple months , and a drank a tall can plus 3 other bottles of beer last night, and my gut was not happy. Im going to tell mysef im allergic and see if I can just avoid it. I appreciate you all who answered or shared your experiences.