Alcohol 5 days sober

Relapsed again. 5 days sober from alcohol. Quit for 36 days then drank every day since October. Anxiety it horrible. I cannot believe I relapsed again. Seems like I’m getting in a one month cycle and think I can control it and have a few. I know I can’t. My mind is racing all day about weird shit I would never think of with alcohol. This app is the only thing that helps me. Journaling and seeing others going thru the same hell as myself. I pray for you all.

11 Likes

Have you ever tried AA might be worth a shot people there who have went through the same things good luck on your journey :pray:t2:

5 Likes

I’ve never tried AA. But I’ve thought about it.

3 Likes

Hi Corey, good to read you’re back on track.
I’ve never been to a meeting neither. Reading “This naked mind” from Annie Grace was a game changer for me. I’ve read it twice though. I’m hitting triple digits in a few days. Maybe it’s worth giving a try!

3 Likes

There an online zoom meeting you can join and just turn yur camera off and listen to others speak. Its 24 hrs a day.
Dont let the low feelings keep you in a dark place, your worth more and i know you have the strength and power to do this you just need to take one day at a time, when you wake up in the morning tell yourself

“I will not drink just for today” and dont drink for that day. Take each day the same.

5 days is brilliant and you will start to feel better, remember your not alone okay🤗 we are all here with you on this journey, you got this.

Keep posting and especially post if your not feeling great so we can support you through the tough times as well we love hearing the good times too.

Take one day at a time.

Thats a thread with zoom meeting codes take a read and see if it helps.

4 Likes

What do you have to lose at the very least you’ll meet sober friends could give you the help you need I’ve been sober nearly 5months by using AA AND CA meetings

2 Likes

Nothing changes if nothing changes. One of the Scariest thing about AA is I thought I would think about alcohol all the time because I hate thinking about it. I was wrong. It’s weird to think for so many years I trusted my still somewhat inebriated mind to make/consider decisions when I was sober. Like why did I trust that. Give it a shot. You got this.

1 Like

It’s hard and it gets harder. There is no easy answer and every second counts. I can’t speak for anyone else but myself and right now I feel like clawing my finger nails into the wall and trying to climb up to the feeling screaming.
I’m five days no alcohol.
Yesterday I promised myself I could get drinking today if I stayed sober today - I made the same promise to myself today.
I don’t even want to count my sober days, as long as I can keep staying sober for 24 hours it will be enough.

Keep up the good work. It’s heroic not giving in.

3 Likes

AA is worth a try @Corey1982 . There’s lots of other peer to peer communities as well. Secular, Buddhist, Scientific based, Christian, and many more. Give this link a try. Knowledge is power. You can do this but you can’t do it alone. Success.

2 Likes

One day at a time it is. For all of us. That’s all we need to do. And it does get easier just as long as we don’t give in. That’s a solid promise. Welcome Paul. Glad you’re here. Together we’re strong, and together we can do this. All success to you.

2 Likes

@Corey1982 I’m sorry to hear about your relapse brother. Our addictions are sneaky sneaky bastards. They hang around waiting for us to get complacent and then sneak in and say, ‘A little bit won’t hurt’. It’s the same cycle every time.

It’s worth checking out some meetings at the links people gave above. For many people, these meetings are where they learn the skills that keep them sober and safe.

Welcome @Quinnzo :wave: It’s nice to meet you. You’re absolutely right, one day at a time. That’s how we make it :innocent:

3 Likes

Thanks for the welcome. It’s great to be in a place of honesty where there is no discrimination or class system. We are all joined together with the desire to become better for ourselves and those around us.
I may be in a room by myself right now but I know I’m not alone.

4 Likes

100%. You are not alone.

Addiction and loneliness go hand in hand. When we’re in addiction, we isolate, we retreat, we let our addiction dictate our lives: find your drug & live with it. That is addiction, that is all it is: alone, despairing, lost.

Recovery and connection go hand in hand. As we recover we reach out to connect:

• “I need help.”
  • We learn from others (which can only be done with others: connected).
  • We are accountable to others. We commit to doing ____ and then we report on how that went. (For example, we might commit to calling someone or coming online to TS when the “addict voice”, as it so often does. That call keeps us safe. That action is a powerful step forward.)

Connection and communication is our greatest weapon against addiction. Keep reaching out, keep connecting, keep striving, and remember: one day at a time, one single small step at a time, is how you win. You can do it.

3 Likes

Definitely try AA. Step one is exactly what you described. That you are an alcoholic and that it has made your life unmanageable. Go to a meeting and when they ask if there are any newcomers raise your hand. You’ll be surprised by how much people will accept you and offer their help. Good luck and remember that you take the first drink but the second takes you.

2 Likes

What can you do differently? “Again” is a word that I sought freedom from. It came down to me doing what ever it took not to drink.

One thing, as far as thought process goes, that helped me was: how do normal drinkers and non-drinkers survive anxiety and the stress of life without drinking?

In the beginning I had no clue…but I knew this. Anxiety and stress didnt kill them…drinking would kill me. It was one of my mantras.

1 Like

I can relate to you in every way! Journaling, meditation are definitely invaluable resources. Keep at it. Meetings will only add to your recovery journey, and are vital!

2 Likes

Found the post… Hope it helps

2 Likes

Thank you.

1 Like