Alcohol and Anxiety

Sobriety builds a better future or plainly, a future. Early sobriety is rough no one talks about oddball things such as this and we seem to all want the rewards immediately.

I think if you stay the course you will see these things melt away. Youll be clear headed-ish and happy. I genuinely enjoy the connection with my partner now and its worth every second of awkwardness along the way. Stick through the rough waters. Keep your eyes on the prize.

3 Likes

I absolutely noticed reduced anxiety.

To be clear, it was a little worse before it got better. The first two or three weeks I felt a bit all over the place. Having support groups like here and AA helped me stay focused and develop new ways to cope with it. It takes time for the mind and body to adjust.

But then absolutely. After maybe a month or two, my baseline anxiety was significantly lower. And this is from one who has been diagnosed with GAD in the past.

It may not feel like it early on, but I can say without a doubt now that alcohol was absolutely making my anxiety ten times worse.

2 Likes

My anxiety, irritability, depression & disorder slightly lessened now that my addiction is arrested.

2 Likes

Omg yes. I drank to numb my anxiety, and it would work for a bit, but then inevitably the anxiety would creep back in even stronger, fueling a full blown binge cycle that would leave me an anxious wreck the next morning. The morning after anxiety would be through the roof, crippling even, which made me want to drink again. Alcohol feeds anxiety and makes it grow and grow. The only way to treat my anxiety is to first and foremost stay sober.

2 Likes

Alcohol ignites my anxiety 10 fold… I’m only at about half a month and my anxiety has shot wayyyyy down.

2 Likes