Alcohol and DUI

I’m new here today for the first time. I really screwed up this time getting a DUI on Sunday night after the football games. My luck finally ran out!! Now time to deal with all the consequences and try not to drink till this is all over.

6 Likes

Or did it just begin? Would you have wanted to quit without the DUI? And hopefully now you realize how incredibly dangerous and stupid drunk driving is.(no judgement, we’ve all done stupid things)

17 Likes

I knew I need to make a change but never did. My life has been not going the way I wanted after 2 years from my breakup so I was using alcohol to feed the pain.

1 Like

Hey my DUI was a low point and a turning point,

For years i got passes on the professional courtesy but it was one night, actually my 1st date with my old girlfriend, that stopped all of that.

I got a DUI, years and years of driving shit faced, and of course I tried to talk my way out of it. It didn’t work, it cost me my career, my dignity a metric fuck ton of money. I had to take classes and substance abuse counseling, I lied my way through them, 4 more years of digging is what it took me to reach bottom.

This is a turning point, look at it from a learning perspective. Is it time to give up the booze? Is it time to consider options to get help?

I didn’t drink for a bit after my DUI, but when I went back out it got worse, dont do as I did, do some reflection maybe make it your last drink. We are here to help

14 Likes

I’ve been in your shoes. I had a DUI back in 2007, after many close calls. Many!

I took the classes, paid the fines and lost my license; I did the dance. The one thing I didn’t do, I didn’t stop drinking. Sounds like you don’t want to either.

The DUI was an unfortunate speed bump in my drinking career, as it is for many of us alcoholics. There was a lesson there and I was too dumb to listen. Fast forward 10 years and my drinking got out of hand, because I’m a. Alcoholic, and that’s what Alcoholics do.

I can’t say that you’re an alcoholic or a problem drinker, thats up to you to decide, but I’ve walked that path before, and you have a lesson to learn here, are you going to listen? Something to think about.

14 Likes

Welcome to the forum! Glad you’re here.

1 Like

Thank you I appreciate it. I’m going to stop for sure while getting through all this and see what it’s like on the sober side.

1 Like

A lesson learned for sure and I was being selfish not thinking about my children.

1 Like

It’s pretty bad ass on the sober side

We got sparkling water, and cookies

11 Likes

try not to drink till this is all over.

Chente, this sent my Spidey sense tingling! Alarm bells!

Every time I put limits on my sobriety, it evaporated before the deadline, and my drinking was worse than ever. I had to go through 5 DUI convictions before I set my focus on staying sober just for today and at the same time letting go of the idea that ‘someday’ I might return to drinking.

Sobriety might seem like unrewarding hard work, but it’s a far better way for me to live than being drunk. I finally surrendered when I was too beat up to fight it. I hope you don’t have to get to that point.

Blessings on your house :pray:.

14 Likes

I’m going to try my hardest on stopping, when I went through a separation I stopped for 6months and I had no problem so me stopping and sorting out all the problems it should be hard. But I know it’s going to be challenging. My first DUI and my last :pray:t4:

2 Likes

What do you mean till this is all over? So your just gonna stop till u get the dwi figured out? I know j use to think the same thing, only stop till I get my license back them bam next thing you know I have 3 dwis and haven’t had a license in almost 8 years

6 Likes

It just happened 2 days ago so I’m still trying to get all thoughts and things together. I don’t want to go through this again!

1 Like

Thank you for the response, I will take it one day at a time. I just wish I would of made better choices and not risk everything.

Thanks I appreciate hearing that. Now it’s time to face the consequences and man up. Hopefully the lord has a good plan for me.

1 Like

Andre, I hope I misunderstood. Because I hear you trivializing DUI. Just because we did it (I certainly got caught a lot, but I drove drunk at least 300 times a year) and got away with minor consequences does not mean it’s “no biggie”.

I just got a text from a sponsee who came out of jail last month after doing 10 years for killing a woman while he was DUI. I could have been in either vehicle that night.

10 Likes

It most certainly is. Its serious, its dangerous, and has ruined families and ended lives.

With that said, @Chente take this for what it is…a serious wake up call. You got lucky you didnt get hurt or die…or hurt someone else.

This forum is a great first step into a better life. You couldnt control your drinking the night you got a DUI. Maybe it’s time to take a look at your relationship with alcohol.

For me, when I looked at a non-romantic view of my life with alcohol I realized that not only did it take me to nearly committing suicide, but all my “good” memories of drinking were really sad and just a way for me to cope with the crappy life I was leading.

You deserve a happy life. Maybe leaving alcohol behind is the answer.

6 Likes

I really appreciate how you told me I need to hear all these things. Keep in touch thank you so much.

1 Like

I need to really focus on being strong and getting through all the steps to lead me in the right direction as being a better person for me and my children.

The question is, and this place is full of suggestions on how to do that. For me, I couldnt do it on my own. It took a combination of this forum and AA. People use various programs. Some have successfully done it without a formal program. However, it all has one thing in common: they helped themselves by far more than just “will power and trying”.

Our addictions are a big deal, and the pain it causes is trememdously huge. It takes a lot of learning how to live again, how to cope, how to celebrate, ect.

4 Likes