Alcohol and the other half

Your sobriety will be attractive to him. Don’t give up. Your sobriety is the first goal now

1 Like

Thank you for the positive response. Made me think. I def won’t give up and drink. My marriage is going through its trials and this is just what I needed. Thanks.

3 Likes

I obvs don’t know you IRL but I’d hazard a guess that it is warranted. Learning how to manage a situation sober, even when things don’t turn out like you want, is a reason to feel more confident.

And knowing what you said and did the last time you saw someone definitely makes it easier to look people in the eye :face_with_hand_over_mouth:

1 Like

Hi Jim what age are your kids? My daughter is 16 now I could fool her for a long long time. I was never falling down drunk but always drank in the evening. As she started to notice the shame increased as it should and I’ve been trying to quit on and off for years now. She’s a great kid and very supportive of me and she’s been through a lot of stuff in the last 6 years(I don’t mean my drinking) but she deserves me to be much more present in her life. I don’t want her to end up like me and I do now very much worry about my health because of the drink. I hope you’re staying strong. My boyfriend is doing sober October but intending to drink when it’s over so I know the temptation will be there again but I’m determined not to go back. I feel much better now. Good luck to you on your journey . Happy sober Saturday from Northern Ireland :blush::+1:

I have been that person! Maybe not daily drinking but enough to be in denial about. Everyone has to come to this in their own time and in their own way.

If you take the steps you need to get sober she will notice. She may start to cut down as things start going better for you. And if not, well at least one of you is getting your house in order, better than none.

There are some great threads linked to above with advice on how to deal with a partner who drinks, plus lots of people to reach out to here when you need to :blush:

I am happy that you shared how much help this has been to your marriage, and that you have a supportive spouse. This is a huge blessing in the struggle.

2 Likes

Even more than sober victories, I love to hear about healing relationships.

A huge part of my motivation to get sober was to be a better husband and father. Were I a single man, I’m not sure I would have made the same progress. My drinking was the one thing keeping us from having a great marriage.

3 Likes

I think about that pretty often. If i was single or dating a drinker id definitely be drinking still

2 Likes