Alcohol and weight loss

I see alot of people on here talking about losing weight once quitting alcohol i have the oposite problem where i lose it whilst drinking it! This is mainly due to when i drank i did not feel hungry atall so i would skip meals usually my main evening meal and then skip breakfast too as i would feel so ill and hungover!
So im hoping to gain weight after stopping drinking is there anyone similar?

3 Likes

I gained weight after stopping drinking. I was just eating more calories Then when I was drinking and I treated myself With special food since I wasn’t drinking. I’ve got it all balance down now. I’m 268 days sober

2 Likes

Was putting weight on after i stopped but went to the gym and did alot of walking changed my diet wish you well

3 Likes

Weight has become a big concern for me.

I have always had a tendency to skip meals while drinking, being more interested in smoking. Now that I’ve stopped drinking I am constantly craving ice cream and thinking about food. I’ve put on a few kgs already and getting worried.

I honestly thought that giving up booze would make me feel healthier and happier but I feel more self conscious and unattractive then I have ever felt.

Hopefully things start balancing out for me soon.

1 Like

I always eat, drunk, hungover or sober so no weight loss here. Though I eat less sober than drunk sigh

1 Like

Thanks for your replys :slight_smile: guess ill just have to see what happens but im certainly already eating much better and not skipping meals!

I did put on a bit of weight at first. I was eating sugar which I didn’t feel the need to do when drinking (because of the sugar in alcohol).

Then I controlled the sugar cravings and I feel back to normal. And I’m losing weight!

2 Likes

There’s another thread dedicated to this, with lots of folks in the same boat. Search “sober weightloss group”

Just cut down on sugars and carbs.

1 Like

Just? Lol. I tell myself that while eating icecream :smile:

Just to make it clear i want to gain weight not lose it

I was the same, when I was drinking I didn’t look after myself properly. I was more concerned about drinking and would miss evening meals or just have a sandwich, that way I could get even more drunk. I’d also then eat crap the next few days as I was hungover so I’d miss breakfast then eat junk food for lunch and dinner. When I was drinking every week I was a 9 stone weakling. I started to try to moderate my drinking a year ago before totally stopping 98 days ago. I bought a weights bench, changed my diet to good healthy food cooked from scratch, I counted calories and ensured I was getting over 2000. Since I’ve stopped drinking I’m a 12 stone hunk of muscle (OK this isn’t true but I’m 12 stone and much happier with a bit of weight!)

Your posts just make me happy - and sometimes make me laugh out loud. I’m so glad you are here!:star_struck:

1 Like