Alcohol dreams

I have been sober since 5-11-2021 and recently began having dreams where I am drunk or drinking. I haven’t had these in months. Any thoughts or opinions?
Thanks so much in advance

4 Likes

I too have these dreams. I am sober 3 years and 2 months. I hate when I have them but love when i wake up. I STILL every now and then have dreams about smoking again. I quit 38 years ago!!!
I read that this is common. The best advice I’ve gotten is to treat them as blessings from my Higher Power ever
reminding me how miserable and destructive it was when i drank. Reinforcing me with the GREAT relief and joy i feel when i wake up. Hope this helps​:slightly_smiling_face::heart:

7 Likes

Thanks so much. That’s a great outlook on that!

Common in early sobriety , but you wake up sober and thats good

4 Likes

Here I am thinking I have a massive amount of sober time lol :laughing: :sweat_smile:
The dreams just caught me off guard. Thank you!!

1 Like

I heard just yesterday. “Only sober people have drinking dreams.” Tom W.
:thinking: Not sure what to do with it except be grateful I’m one of the sober people.
And I can’t ever remember having drinking dreams when I was drinking.
:pray:t2::heart:

5 Likes

I would just black out and pass out :woman_shrugging:

1 Like

I had one last night too. I remember a detail that I was trying to cover up that I drank, but there was so much trash. Bag after bag that I had to try to conceal. How symbolic is that??!! I woke up so sad, but then realized it was all a dream. And all on Thanksgiving morning. How symbolic is that??!! I was so grateful to wake up ME.

1 Like

I had a fee of those dreams last week, I woke up and felt like I had been run over by a truck. I believe that is GOD reminding me of the shitshow .I woke up and felt guilty ,I had to wake my wife up and tell her like I was justifing my actions from the night before.

1 Like

I dreamt that I drank last night. I remember nothing about it except how disappointed and guilty I felt. My dream was all about “How could I do this?” and “Why did I just trash all my effort?” I woke up and the relief was HUGE. I’m holding my sobriety close today. But WTF are you doing, Mind…

2 Likes

I had one recently where I stole a car to go buy booze. I wasn’t drunk in the dream, but I was driving all crazy and hitting parked cars anyway. Boy, was I glad to wake up sober! Jeez! :grimacing::cold_sweat:

5 Likes

I was told, that having a dream about alcohol is all you need to know… it’s all the proof you need that you are indeed an alcoholic. Do people that don’t have problems with alcohol have dreams about alcohol?

Perhaps🤷🏼‍♂️.

Life is good sober!

5 Likes

I know exactly what you mean. I spoke with my Addiction counselor and asked him about it. I was having Relaspe dreams. He said it is completely normal in early recovery. Our brain is getting back all the things that drinking and drugging wasn’t giving us. He said for me to get a sleep mask and listen to Sleep Meditation. It has actually helped. I haven’t had a Relaspe dream since. Try it!

4 Likes

Im going to try that! Can you reccomend a sleep meditation app please?

1 Like

I use the Calm app! I listen to the sleep stories or the sound of Zen Ocean. It is a great tool

2 Likes

Insight Timer is really good. :ok_hand:

1 Like