Alcohol is my worst enemy

Hello! I just discovered this app and I’m hoping to get some insight. Ill start by saying that I am a recovering drug addict from my teen years (I’d got sent away to a program after overdosing on oxy’s back when I was 15) and managed to cut drugs out of my life by 16. Even through those years, alcohol was never an issue for me. In fact, I hated it. Anytime I drank as an adult, I was always able to drink in moderation and never felt an urge to do drugs. Once I hit about age 25, I was at a high in my life with my career, social group, a following…but I was drinking more and more, up to a 2’6 of vodka each evening by myself. Needless to say, I was in denial and used the “I just have a high tolerance” excuse to anyone with concerns.

By age 26, March of 2017, I experienced two back-to-back traumatic sexual assaults and everything just fell out of place. I became depressed, severely depressed, I lost my job, I lost the majority of my friends due to my depression and overall negativity and the alcohol started flowing earlier and earlier in the day. I met my boyfriend shortly after the second incident, who was unbelievably good to me and still is…only he came with his own substance abuse issues, as well (and he was VERY good at hiding them). He has cut out one substance but he continues to drink, it really has become our lifestyle to drink together but alcohol has always been his crutch. The difference between us is he can drink 15 beers in a day and nothing the next. He can stop if he wanted to. I now drink around 8+ “tall boys” a night, or will crush a bottle or 2 of wine…I can’t stop once I’ve started. It’s now at the point where I black out nearly every night I’m drinking, wake up with debilitating hangovers but worst of all? I’m getting angrier and lashing out on him over nothing and doing reeeeally stupid sh*t…

I’m completely embarassed over my lack of self control, the fact that I can’t go to bbq’s, parties or events, or even sitting at home without over drinking; that I’ve made a complete fool of myself so many times now, I can’t even count. I’m scared I’m going to continue this vicious cycle and make matters worse. I don’t even know who I am when I drink anymore and my boyfriend doesn’t deserve to be treated like this. I’m so tired of using alcohol as an excuse. I’m just happy that I can admit that this is now a problem.

On Tuesday, i started drinking early afternoon and somehow thought that pounding back 4oz of vodka, 8 strongbows and 3 beers was a good idea…I didn’t even get out of bed to shower yesterday. All I did was throw my head under the covers because I didn’t feel like facing the reality that I f*cked up so badly, yet again.

I’ve tried to quit drinking so many times that I make it to day 2 or 3 and start it all over again. I seriously hate myself and feel like I’m a f*cking failure. Even though I’ve been through addiction and counselling in my past, I really don’t know how I’m going to manage cutting out alcohol, given it’s literally everywhere. Any advice on how to make it through the first week?

(Thank you for reading my short novel :pray:)

6 Likes

Hi Kat, I am so sorry to hear about the spot you’re in. I can hear how heartbroken and frustrated you are. You feel like a failure, is that right?

You’re not alone. Every single one of us here has felt the same way at one point or another.

You know what else? You’re not alone in this: you can recover. You can do this. You are capable of it.

Alcohol is not my addiction, but there are many people here who struggle(d) with is just as much as you do. But I will say the most important thing is you see the problem and you want to change.

The next step is to start working your recovery, one day at a time. Learn as much as you can. Read around. Listen to podcasts. Learn about how addiction rewires your brain (and habits) - and about how it’s possible to fix it.

Learn about recovery programs. There are many to choose from; each is unique. Recovery groups have helped many people here, from all addictions. You would likely find it helpful too.

This thread has a good list of resources:
Resources for our recovery

Most important of all: never, ever give up. Never give up. You are a good person. You matter, and you belong, and you are worthy. You can work your recovery, one day at a time.

Welcome to our little community!

2 Likes

Thank you Matt! :pray:

1 Like

Hi lady and welcome! I think you’re in the right place to help with your struggles. I’m so sorry to hear of the assaults you endured. I hope you found some place safe to help heal the trauma. :kissing_heart::heart:
Stick around…

2 Likes

Hi Kat, and welcome to the forum! There is a lot here, one good place to start is this thread: Resources for our recovery, started by our pal @SassyRocks.

Please don’t compare your drinking to anyone else’s - what makes your drinking a problem is how you feel about it, and what your drinking does to you. What it does inside your head, what it does to your heart and your soul.

You have a lot of motivation, and from your teen years probably some inkling of what it’s going to take to get and stay sober. Hang in there, keep asking for help. We’ve all tried a bunch of different tactics and tools - Antabuse, individual counseling, intensive outpatient treatment and getting arrested and having to document my sobriety daily were what helped me to permanent sobriety.

I quoted your comment to point out that we see what we look at. Look for booze and you’ll find it. Look for fat babies and you’ll find them. Look for sober people and you will find them. Look for peace and wise words, and you will find them. Look for shaggy dogs, etc etc.

I got sober only after decades of hard drinking and risky behavior. I am so glad to see you starting on your healing journey today. Though it certainly sounds like it hasn’t been a smooth and easy life for you so far, beginning to dedicate yourself to sobriety now will give you so many more years of the most wonderful kind of living.

Every little thing is gonna be alright. I know it and I hope you can know it too. Blessings on your house :pray:

2 Likes