Alcohol Meds do they actually work? Placebo?

I was prescribed Naltrexone for my alcohol cravings, I am willing to do anything to stop drinking. But I am not sure about Medication, like do they really work or is it just a placebo effect? I was also prescribed Prozac for anxiety and depression, I use to smoke weed for that but yeah that didn’t really help, in time my anxiety and depression got worst and I always found myself going back to drinking when I would start smoking weed again.

6 Likes

Naltrexone essentially blocks alcohol and opiates from activating dopamine receptors - if you’re taking as perscribed you will not feel any effect/buzz from drinking. In my experience it absolutely works, others on here have mentioned side effects but i didnt experience any.

2 Likes

I am currently on Naltrexone, and since my last relapse (10 days ago) I have been on it, and it absolutely works. I am also on Antabuse.
It curves my cravings for it all together in all honesty, but every person is different. I have experienced zero side effects from it.

3 Likes

You can do a search on Naltrexone and find a few discussions about it which you may find helpful as well. :slightly_smiling_face:

4 Likes