Alcoholic Neuropathy?

I have been clean from alcohol and codeine 11 days now, for time sake I’ll just say I’ve been at it for 10+ years with varying intensity, and withdrawn a fair few times in the recent past, but this time, a very annoying symptom has stayed with me up till now with no sign of abating as of yet…I feel extremely uncomfortable in my own skin, as though my skeleton moving about in it, is wearing a very itchy skin suit, plus very sensitive to the cold and wearing heavy clothes… Also both of my hands feel as though I have sunburn, and like they’ve been inflated from under my skin and tight, with a dash of general prickly feeling, kind of like the after glow of a stinging nettle encounter.

I’m just wondering if anybody else has any experience of alike sensations, and if it does actually subside after a few more days/weeks, as I have read on the internet(probably a mistake) that it never goes… So Annoying. CHEERS THEN.

1 Like

Hey, congrats on staying sober for 11 days! I was taking pretty much everything but heroin was what I went to detox for. I felt all those things except for those symptoms with the hands. Instead, now the joints in my hands ache. I’ve been clean for 7 months now and the first 2 weeks were a nightmare. Those symptoms stayed with me for about a month and the joints in my hands are still messed up. I found out I have arthritis but at least there’s medications. I recommend going to a doctor, just to be safe. The feeling of being uncomfortable in your own skin is very common and will continue to dissipate. Best of luck!

3 Likes

Thank you, and congrats to you too, for the 7 months, that seems a VERY long way away right now lol… That’s actually made me feel a bit more optimistic actually, as, oddly I have found quite a lot of info on the “hands thing”, but not too much on the feeling uncomfortable in own skin thing, which is the worst thing at the moment, It would make general living horrendous, to have that constantly…I can’t really risk going to doctors, and having that sort of thing on my records, as the job I’m working on doing soon looks at them… BUT thank you for info. I hope it hurrus up, and buggers of asap. :+1:

2 Likes

Hurrys up, and buggers off*… is what I meant.

I’m having a similar feeling…it’s what made me realize I’m physically destroying myself. I feel a burning itchy tingling sensation in my legs and forearms. I also read it may be permanent…it’s only been a day but I’m hoping it will eventually subside :frowning:

2 Likes