Alcoholism vs other drugs

If alcohol is your only addiction, is it ok to indulge in other recreational drugs on occasion??

Sober means sober :slight_smile: for me anyways, no mind altering substances apart from 2 coffees and 2 sleepytime teas :slight_smile:

1 Like

Yeah but my only goal was to quit alcohol. I don’t have problems with anything else.
I’m not going to do it again, I just don’t think it should go against my alcoholism sobriety count.

@Danielwolf you’ve asked for an opinion and i gave you mine. :slight_smile: at the end of a day, if another substance that you have no issues with is helping you to overcome addiction with a problematic substance then do what’s right for you. Myself, i avoid any mind altering substances in any quantaties. Good luck with your recovery

5 Likes

It made me think why I’m so black and white when it comes to sobriety… With me I see sobriety as a process, in a physical and emotional sense. Although i didnt have any physical detox symptoms (apart from anxiety and insomnia) , nonetheless, i was emotionally attached to that stuff: it was there when i was sad or happy, i used it to cover up my past and handle everyday stress. During my first few weeks of sobriety i thought of using other drugs, allowing me to switch off from reality. But that would mean I’m not working on deep rooted problems that lead me to abusing alcohol in the first place. You would need a clear mind for that. Im still in a very early stages of my recovery (117 days) but already identified and worked through some anxiety triggers which i think its a massive accomplishment. But that’s just my opinion :slight_smile:

5 Likes

Thank you for the feed back! Now I know I’m not the only one. I’m barely on my first week. So I’m looking for escapes I guess.

I’d be too afraid of swapping one addiction for another.

3 Likes

An addict is an addict and one is just as bad as another or atleast for me It was a cycle and a lifestyle that one led to another and I wish you all strength and peace…

1 Like

I’ve done LSD once since I’ve been sober from alcohol. For me it was ok, because I know 100% it’s not something I’m going to get addicted to. I DO NOT do drugs that would make me want to drink alcohol while on them though, like cocaine or ecstasy. I know these are concrete facts about myself and I don’t cross the line.
If you’re still fragile and trying to indulge in a bit of escapism I’d personally stay completely sober for a while.
That’s my 2 cents!

I personally think it’s OK to smoke a little weed once in a while if your only addicted to alcohol. I’m sure everyone disagrees.

I’ve been repairing my brain with psilocybin very rarely, about 2mg each time. I do not consider it a drug, as it is incredibly non addictive…at least for me. I have a stash of them and I never crave them. It lowers my anxiety levels and diminishing my ptsd and trd symptoms. It has neurogenesis properties, and I know my brain had been damaged quite a lot by my benzo addiction, which is almost completely out of my system.

Same with LSD, but I find it to be difficult to find, and I don’t really need it. Last time I did that drug was about four years ago. I never obsess or desire LSD, either.

Also, CBD, but again, non addictive.

As for other drugs, I don’t do anything that is addictive, like cocaine, opiates, etc. I feel like those drugs have no medical benefit for me, and all they would do is drain my bank account and have way too many risks, without much reward.

2 Likes