Allen Carr books

Morning all, day 4 and all is well :+1:t2: I’ve seen a lot of people recommending Allen Carr’s book. I downloaded his “easy way for women to stop drinking “ is it as good as the original book? I downloaded it months ago but have never read it!

8 Likes

The original changed my view on drinking forever ive not read that one tho

4 Likes

The original changed my perception of alcohol forever HOWEVER I started again after I finished it because I didn’t follow instructions… and I let it talk me into toasting my alcoholism away with a final drink…

3 Likes

The perspective in the book is SO INTERESTING! But i find it falls a bit in to the logic of, if you dont quit you have failed to follow the steps like I told you to (which is a bit like how AA can come off as well).

I think the thing about it that is not easy, is dealing witj the reasons why we drink. Whether you believe in a sort of AA route type thinking of drinking being a disease, or it as a symptom or coping mechanism, dealing with the underlying stuff can be very painful and challenging.

For me I think that people can definitly apply this method and I think it can work. But Im not sure that just because it didnt work means you didnt get it…I think it can mean that why yoh drink and whats under the drinking (e.g., trauma, pain, unhealed wounds) need to be resolved in tandem in order to no longer feel the need to engage in drinking (or poisoning yourself!). This is totally just my perspectove and experience! I defonitly think you could aplly this to the act of drinking, but if there are wounds underneath then I wouldnt expect that aspect to be “easy”!

Not sure if that makes sense but thats just my perspectove :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Oh and people have said the book can seem repetitive but I think ita supposed to :slight_smile:

3 Likes

It was an early one I read and I recall it made an impression…seed planted. I also took a lot from Annie Grace’s, This Naked Mind. Others I found helpful are Quit Like A Woman and We Are The Luckiest. I enjoy reading and others perspectives, every little bit helps in my experience, more seeds planted and keeping sobriety and change in the forefront of your mind.

7 Likes

I only read his quit smoking book 8 years ago. Shortly after actually quitting. So I didn’t follow his method. It did help me change my perspective on smoking and tobacco. I learned to see it as nothing else but a lying disgusting killing addiction.

Thus it was a big help in changing my mindset to the one needed for a successful quit. A mindset that helped me greatly in beating my other substance abuses 4 years later too.

8 Likes

I don’t actually recall any of the steps in the book now, I only know it changed my perception of alcohol… didn’t start working on the “why” until I was in my second year of sobriety… I also don’t attend meetings so I don’t know how that would or wouldn’t have helped me. :slightly_smiling_face:

4 Likes

Yes SassyRocks I agree that having different perspectoves is really helpful…i was in AA for so long, and I really didnt understand there were other perspectoves. That sounds silly but its true.

His book was the first I read ourside of AA and it was just like WHOA. This actually makes so much sense and has almost nothing to do with AA. I am just on my journey to finding these different perspectives, and its kind of scary…bc its challenging what I knew for so long, but also i felt a lot of shame for having some perspectives that were different from that of AA. Anyway, just so interesting to hear peoples perspectives.

I want to quit smoking also but I was thinking maybe one thing at a time!!! I feel SO MUCH guilt for being a smoker as a mom. SO MUCH!

1 Like

Never tried any other way only AA when i got sober , but if it keeps you sober long term im fine with that

3 Likes

I thought we are the luckiest was helpful in that the author did not count days sober, as she found it overwhelming. She had to do it one day at a time and not focus on the forever thing. Staying present day by day. That’s what I am striving to do.

2 Likes

I totally agree, though I might read the book. They why we drink is so different among different people…I’m grateful there are so many perspectives and experiences shared here. Really helps.

2 Likes

I try to keep my focus on each day as well. I am a big proponent of staying present in the moment. :heart:

3 Likes

I tried the original Allan Carr book in the beginning, but found it very repetitive and put it down. Ultimately what worked for me was going to AA meetings and just having a good support system around me, and watching YT videos on the subject.

1 Like

Really i do not think reading it would do any harm! Its such an interestinf perspective, I just feel its so important that we know as humans on our journey that just because something doesnt work for us doesnt necessarily mean there is something wrong with us or that we didnt try…i think thst comes from my own personal experience, and just in case pthers took it that way i wanted to share that. He says its easy, and well it may be for some people but for others it might not be…doesnt mean the people who dont find it easy are at fault, just a different journeh towards a similar/same goal… :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Allen Carr’s EasyWay plays a substantial role in my recovery path. Until I stopped viewing my recovery as a sacrifice, I had no chance of obtaining long-term sobriety.

3 Likes

This was a key turning point / perspective shift for me as well. It wasn’t what I was giving up, it was all I was gaining in sobriety.

3 Likes

Ironic he died of lung cancer. and he lived in my fav Spanish costa Benalmadena.

1 Like

He was quoted as saying the 23 years he had been quit (prior to his diagnosis) were the happiest of his life and I can relate to that. I am so glad he wrote his books, they helped me so much and I know they helped so many others. What a beautiful legacy.

4 Likes

The Alan Carr book worked for me and was all it took. I am now almost 3 years sober and have no desire to drink and am the happiest and healthiest I have ever been in my entire life.

5 Likes