Just posting this if anyone can use it for themselves.
So, in my reading of the AA big book, a part of the reading stood out to me and keeps me focused on sobriety in my times of want.
Last fall, I found out that I am allergic to sulfa medications. Swelled up like a Ballon.
When I went into rehab, I had to wear a bright red allergy bracelet. Looked at it daily of course.
When I was reading the big book, the doctors analogy of alcoholism and addiction being that of an allergy (the bodies adverse reaction to a substance) seemed weird and unrealistic.
Then one night, we had a guest speaker who is involved with AA, bring up the allergy topic.
He asked us, “Would someone with a peanut allergy, who hadn’t eaten a peanut in 2 years, say to themselves that I could have a couple of peanuts.”
That statement hit me like a brick. It made me realize that I can never have alcohol again, or I could die. Even if it doesn’t kill you outright, it will eventually.
So every time I think of drinking, I remind myself of this, and it gets me through.
Thought I would share in case this helps anyone else.