Am i alcoholic?

Hello
Ive been battling depression and anxiety for about 4 years now, also about the time i started drinking for real. Most happened when my ex decided to leave me, but also had alcohol problems before that that also contributed to her leaving me. I used to drink 3 times a week, but now down to 1-2times. I usualy drink 8-12x 0,5L beers 4,5% alcohol when I drink(Im pretty big and weigh 110kg aswell) is this considered alcoholic?

I am not sure if i am alcoholic and im not sure what my problems related to alcohol are. However first it started i feel a big urge to drink in the weekends and and more days in the week. I did quit earlier for about 4months(i actualy felt bettr i think) about 2 years ago, but now its really hard to stay sober. Every weekend i drink, and normaly 12beers 0,5L 4,5%. I dont drink with others but mostly playing games on my pc.

Every time i quit i feel the depression worsens and it sucks. I really want to try and stay sober for a long time to see if it helps. I am now sober for 3 days and im really hoping it stays. I just downloaded this app and it really looks cool.

Is there any tips u guys can give me? Some motivation of some people who have been here?
I am battling depression and anxiety and i feel like my lide is on halt

5 Likes

Only you can answer that but the fact that you’re asking is an indicator that you may be better off without it.

1 Like

When I was waking up in the morning at around 6am I usually wanted to have a drink by 12 or 1 o clock in the day. I couldn’t wait to park my car up and go sit on the couch vfx with 1 or 2 bottles… I felt I was thinking more and more about when u can have a drink and get home and have a drink. This is why I stopped drinking… I’m on day 16 now… I hope to keep going .x

1 Like

That’s amazing keep going your body will thank you for it ,that’s for sure.

I’d venture to say you have a problem with alcohol, most “normal” drinkers I know don’t track any of that information, only the abnormal wanting to quit but can’t ones. And the normal ones who do track, track due to calories and diet information.

Do you drink when you don’t want too? If yes, then it’s a problem.

Alcohol does some pretty gnarly things to the body and mind. Certainly it exacerbates depression and anxiety symptoms.

Just say no to the first drink, and there will never be a second.

5 Likes

You ask yourself this question, you wouldnt be questioning this if you drink moderately. Only you can tell, but I think you questioning if you are an alcoholic says enough, therefore I have some advice.

I highly recommend checking in daily to keep focus in the checking daily to maintain focus thread.

I also recommend finding some activities to fill time like, running, cycling, working out, meditation/mindfulness, crafts, drawing, reading etc.

Mindfulness is also useful to put less weight on thoughts, making shame and guilt smaller.

I also recommend reading on this forum a lot on this forum and asking questions if you have any.

I too recommend giving your an addiction a name. This might seem weird, but it really helps because addiction becomes more clear that way.

You can make sobriety a lot easier. It’s really hard to think about staying sober for the rest of my life. If I think, do I want to stay sober for the rest of my life? I think hell no. But I can and want to stay sober for today. The next day, I also think I can stay sober for today. and so on.

Don’t think about not using for life but think about not using today. Do that every day, and it gets way easier. If you are very deep in the shit, you can even think, I’ll stay sober the next 5 minutes.

Don’t listen to your mind, your mind will not stop being a dick, it will be a dick less and less, but it will never fully stop being a dick.

If you have cravings, just play the tape. By that I mean, pretend that you abuse again, then try foreseeing the future. Will it be all butterflies and roses, because you feel so awesome when relapsing, or will it be shame, self-disgust and disappointment you feel.

When your mind tells you that you can use once, that’s bullshit, the biggest bullshit ever. Your addiction just tries to find a way to get satisfied.

I also recommend following the twelve step-program with a sponsor.

I hope this helps

Good luck, you’ve got this. :smiley:

1 Like

To say the truth, it’s a lot of beer…! But beside of that fact, you are asking that question in a forum of addicted guys. You wouldn’t do it if there isn’t any problem. I know that, because I am here too.
I guess, the answer is cristal clear. But I agree, that only you are able to answer this.

1 Like

Thanks alot for advice

My life is on halt. I visit my psychologist/shrink every week. After relapsing, or every time i drink i feel like crap. I feel guilty and really loose my self worth ,self control and my own self confidence. Im drinking i think to finaly have something to look forward to, finaly relax and stop thinking. Problem is, the only time im relaxed, or have fun, is the times im drinking infront of my pc :frowning:

I know for me, anxiety and depression are super exaggerated when I drink. Those things I’ve lived with most of my life. But I know, when i did get sober for some time, i learned how to understand the why i was having these feelings. And then learned how to deal with them appropriately without picking up. As some mentioned, it 100% does do a number on your psyche, that is out of your control while you’re using, and even for weeks after. But you are the only person that can realize your problem. I know I’m alcoholic. I’ve known for over 12 years. Now, it’s what you do to help yourself thru this query many of us have. Figure out your truth, by reading others stories (to see if you relate), and learning what you can do to get help(if you think you need it). All the best my friend. I hope we, as a community, can help you thru this :heart:

2 Likes

For me the same. Without drinking I am optimistic and pretty relaxed. Alcohol makes me feel miserable, I became deeply depressed and I had fears. Depression and fear are completely gone after 3 weeks without.

Me I was drinking in front of a movie. I thought that I liked it. I was looking forward to “my quality time”.
Finally I paid this false joy with being more lonely, bad sleep, hangover, depression, fears…
Now I enjoy a good salad, enjoy the movie - or go running or meet people or read a book. And wake up fresh and clear and ready for the day.

2 Likes

They say that if drinking is gettining in the way of Life then you are a problem drinker.
But if Life is getting in the way of your drinking then you are probably and alcoholic.

2 Likes

Drinking is progressive. Control it now is my advice.

Okay, I am also trying to figure this out. I am pretty much a functional alcoholic. I have a fairly successful career, i think a great family life, great home. So why do I stress out over drinking?
I have my daily routine of beverages after 4 to5 in the afternoon, half pint of fireball two to three white claws, then bedtime.
I talked to a therapist who was trying to set me up with a recovery treatment plan.
I was asked if I had Blacking out problems, or marriage problems, job, financial problems, DUI, jail, etc… I said non of those, issues. So maybe I don’t have a drinking problem. I’m just an alcoholic… is there a difference? I seem to justify my drinking as it’s not that bad… maybe it’s because of the way I was raised? My dad was practically the same…

My conclusion has been that

• I am thinking of alcohol
  • I drink to fast and too much in a pretty short time
  • I wake up with a hangover
  • I wake up at 3 am feeling miserable
  • it’s is quite difficult to stop drinking, especially the first day(s)
  • I have been busy to buy wine, to drink it, to throw empty bottles away
  • I didn’t like my face in the mirror anymore
  • I could see that I started organizing evenings alone, just to drink

Though I (still) have my career, my friends, good life.

But…there’s this “but”…

2 Likes

I could do a check on more than half of them myself.

But it took me a really long time to even admit for myself that I had a drinking problem. And it took even longer to realize that I couldn’t quit on my own because I am an alcoholic.

It’s a hard hit when it hits but the good thing is that you’re only going forward from that.

2 Likes