Am I an alcoholic? 20 years of drinking...is it time to admit?

Hi my names cjp and im a recovering alcoholic who also has bipolar type 2.

I met with my meds management lady today and decided to bring up my anxiety and having not slept thru the night for months. Im on 4 pills now to manage my depression which has worked for years. Tweaking meds always makes me nervous but im hopeful. Im starting a low dose med for anxiety and switching a sleep med. So starting tonight i’ll be on 5 pills. Seems like alot but is totally worth staying out of the psych ward or plotting my suicide daily.

Things are sooo much better since getting sober nearly 14 months ago. I guess im just finetuning. Heres to hoping for a happier, less anxious mind

10 Likes

you got that right. wishing you the best with your new dosage / meds – hoping for a full night of sleep with no anxiety --sending the vibes your way now … :heart:

3 Likes

I understand worrying about tweeting meds. Hopefully you feel very comfortable with your psychiatrist.

2 Likes

@Cjp. Exciting trip!!Two weeks from today we will be in CR. I may have shared this with you and the group. I’m more of a reader than poster because I"m a one-fingered typist. Anyway, we are going for a week. It is our honeymoon actually. At 63 (but healthy and active) we opted for only a few scheduled activities. We have an Airbnb studio right on a quiet beach. Literally open the door and you are there on the sand. We fly into SJO and rent a car. Four hour drive to the coast. Gonna take it as it comes. Relaxing and exploring on or own. And if still drinking?? Not possible.

8 Likes

Thats awesome @Mbwoman i hope you have a safe and relaxing honeymoon!

4 Likes

Thanks. I plan on it!

2 Likes

Checking in sober with 14 months free from weed and alcohol and 6 months of a healthier lifestyle.

Today has been good. My anxiety is mild. I still feel rapid worries and checking things like if i dont things will fall apart. I think my yoga class and shavasna will help center me.

Im stressed about finances and starting the hubby saving for retirement. I have appointments with 3 financial planners in the next couple of weeks. The first was a fluke…he wants us to buy variable universal life insurance and annuities. I dont think thats the smartest move but i’ll hear his sales pitch monday. I put together our net assets and liabilities and the good news is its positive. But not positive enough to make me feel safe. So im trying to be proactive.

My hubby doesnt like talking finances. He gets defensive. I get frustrated and we dont make progress. Yet im still hopeful for our discussion. I sent him an agenda so he knows what i want to talk about. Lord give me patience.

Weighin tomorrow i hope ive lost atleast a pound! Feeling like i hit a plateau with no change one week and up 0.5lbs one week. Im being proactive here to. Im googling fitness classes around town and trying out classes for free. Hell im still using a HIIT groupon i found. My abs and butt are still sore from a class thurs morning. Hoping for progress.

Work is stressful. Im covering 3x the programs and reporting on grants the other analyst did everything for and have tight deadlines. Im utilizing my excel to do list. Im prioritizing. It just gives me anxiety.

Who am i kidding? Everything gives me anxiety. Im on day 3 of new anxiety meds. Hopefully my mind quiets down in a couple weeks.

8 Likes

Thinking about you as you go through this transition, I hope that it’s helpful, and is what you need. I know you’ve been struggling and it will be good to see you struggle less.
You’re doing a good job for your future also and congratulations on getting the trip planned.

@Mbwoman I knew that you had gotten engaged and now I see that your honeymoon is coming up! I missed your wedding! Congratulations on all of it I’m so happy for you! Have a wonderful honeymoon!

3 Likes

My gosh, lady, you are seriously kicking ass. You seem to have your priorities straight, even when life/work is busy. You are an inspiration!

3 Likes

Thank you for your kind words @Alisa

2 Likes

Thanks @LeeHawk i try :slight_smile:

1 Like

As stated before - you are a true inspiration. Love having you here on this journey to look up to.
Great job on your 2 lb’s lost on today’s weigh in. Impressive on how you are juggling your work / home and Boscoe / hubby and still keeping up with your diet, exercise, meal planning, intermittent fasting and self care.
Way to go CJ! Wishing you the best and do hope the new meds help out with the anxiety!

3 Likes

Alisa, I’m getting married this Saturday the 8th. At least I think I am. Fiance has a bad cold and has been spitting yuck up. Unless he can promise me he won’t spit in the sand during our beach ceremony…I don’t know…:rofl::rofl:

2 Likes

@Cjp, you have plans! You are moving forward and taking action. I like your “I’m not a victim, I’m in control” attitude! You rock!

3 Likes

Oh wow - the 8th is just around the corner! I do hope your Fiance starts to feel better soon… how lovely it will be to have a beach ceremony :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

2 Likes

Thank you. He is a trooper for the most part. A little man baby behavior over the weekend. But he has a terrible cough. I’m keeping him well fed and hydrated.

2 Likes

LOL - i think so many are childish when feeling ill (under the weather). Yes, fed and hydrated with lots of vitamin c should help (possibly try to sweat it out)!

2 Likes

But…guess who now has the cold? Argh!!!:rofl::rofl:

1 Like

If he ends up having to spit in the sand, I hope someone catches a pic of it :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:. I kid, these summer colds can be nasty. Hope he feels better soon.

1 Like

Me, too. Sharing is caring. Now I have it! I hope I’m rocking a nice red patch under my nose for the big day. :rofl::rofl:

1 Like