Am I an alcoholic? 20 years of drinking...is it time to admit?

I have five days sober. Does it get better?

7 Likes

It will get easier. At the beginning i was counting the hours, later days, weeks, months and now after more then 3 years i only think of years being sober. Dont give up. One day (hour) at a time

7 Likes

It gets easier with each day down. Ive heard it takes up to 10 days for alcohol to be completely out of your system. Keep coming here for support, love, and/or a distraction from the cravings. Take this time to identify what your triggers may be and when your cravings hit. For me boredom is a big trigger so im keeping busy and enjoying being productive

Be kind to yourself. One day at a time.

7 Likes

If you do a search on what your body is going through it may help.
The first week is tough! :facepunch:

9 Likes

5 days is the evidence that it gets better, congratulations!!! I worked the 12 steps program. Being restored from a hopeless state of mind gives me the ability to stay sober one day at a time.

5 Likes

Yes, 1,000 times yes. Keep going. A clear mind can only help your life. :heart:

5 Likes

Update went to another zoom AA meeting and spoke. Still didnt have the courage to say im an alcoholic out right but said my name and i have the desire to stop drinking…baby steps

22 Likes

For myself I never cared for the label and I also keep my focus more on the present vs that big ole ‘forever’ thing. One…because I know I won’t be around ‘forever’ and 2) because for me, today is actually ‘forever’ because today is the only day I have. A bit esoteric, but so true. I am here today, I am sober today.

I think you know the benefits of being sober for a month…in my experience, the longer I am sober, the more the benefits increased and the less space alcohol took/takes up in my brain and life. For me that is a big positive. My life revolved around drinks and alcohol for decades…all while living a regular life…but I was dull inside, almost dead in and out by the end…but still adulting and calling it a life. I really did not know the beauty of what life can be without the yoke of alcohol being the focus of every.damn.thing.

Once I let go of my fantasy of what drinking brought to my life and accepted, truly accepted, the reality of what drinking brought (hangovers, fights, anxiety, shame, guilt, bad decisions, and on and on and on) the veil started to lift and a new life…one I never knew existed…started to emerge.

Each day sober makes me happy. Sure, sober life is not some magical fix for all life’s challenges and pain…but today I am not hungover, full of regret or shame, I feel damn good body mind and soul and that drain of alcohol is far from my thoughts. Wow, a relief.

We all deserve that relief. Today is a good day to be sober. :slightly_smiling_face:

20 Likes

If you’re on a sobriety forum asking the question ‘am I an alcoholic?’ I’d probably say yes.

You don’t see non problem drinkers asking that :grinning:

8 Likes

Update: ive been attending a zoom aa meeting everyday this week at 2pm and today i opened my share with my name and i have an addictive personality and know i need to admit it to myself but im not ready but i have the desire to quit drinking…i think its fear thats stopping me from labeling myself. If i dont label myself im not an addict and dont have relapses or have to commit to never drinking again. Since my first attempt at sobriety earlier this year, after 20 years of binge drinking, im coming to terms with the fact that my relationship with alcohol is unhealthy and i do want to stop but forever is such a daunting task. So im taking baby steps and just doing my thing one day at a time and its working. Im not going to focus on labels or the future but be joyful that im free from the neverending drinking negotiation and pitfalls for today. All we have is today, tomorrow is never promised. So very greatful for this forum and anyone who made it through my rambling :slight_smile: peace

16 Likes

Been attending this same zoom AA meeting all week. Im getting alot out of sharing and listening to other people share. Like they say, look for the similarities and not the differences. They have me hosting tomorrows meeting lol im nervous but happy to be of service. Idk if im going to work the AA program but im committed to not drinking and putting in the work. Today i can commit to not drinking, thats manageable. Feeling good 20 days free from weed and alcohol

11 Likes

Using this thread as my own…Im proud to say im 25.75 days free from weed and alcohol. Im proud and want to brag about it but also want to protect it. Im talking to my parents about it and they tell me theyve been really worried about me. Hubby is noticing weightloss :slight_smile: which is encouraging bc im 100lbs heavier than i should be. Im curious what my body looks like without using, how much weight will i lose? Soon i’ll have to get back into a fitness regime…

Funny thing happened today. My new job had me take the Clifton Strengthsfinder test administered by Gallup. And this bipolar depressive lady right here #1 strength is Positivity lmao. I had a big chuckle at the irony of it but i think alot of that result has to do with my newfound resolve for sober living, this community’s support, and my few weeks of AA. hahaha im on a handful of meds to keep me from unliving myself and my strength is positivity. Anyways, i was surprised but not shocked. Life is 100x better sober. Just doing my thing one day at a time

19 Likes

Yes!! These are the posts I live for. This brought a true smile to my face. Well done! Keep going. :heart:

3 Likes

Fuck, fuck, fuck. Firstly, mixed feelings about getting out of work early. 1. Yeah long weekend. 2. Fucking alcoholic thoughts “i dont have to be productive tmrw” “i can drink” “im not an alcoholic”. BUT normies dont have those intrusive thoughts about using. Luckily, i was able to attend my favorite zoom aa meeting and share. And today i said hey my names cjp and fuck it, im an alcoholic. I am, i just dont like labels. Idk working towards acceptance. Im angry these thoughts are so consuming and intrusive. I will gwt through this. One day at a time

11 Likes

“I would rather go through life sober wondering if I’m an alcoholic, than drunk wondering if I can get sober.”

Acceptance is a great thing. Life somehow became clearer and easier for me when I just accepted it. No more question. It just was.

At the very least though, you can choose sobriety anyway. Even if you’re not sure yet. If it’s treating you well, and every time you drink things go south, then… Why not just be sober?

This one always gets me. I did this a lot when I was still trying to moderate.

It’s like, “Hey! Life has been so good without drinking, I think… I’ll drink!” :joy: I dunno, it made sense somehow at the time.

8 Likes

(That awkward moment when you realize a thread is already two weeks old. Whoops! Good thread.)

3 Likes

Lol @Eke i just hearted posts from 2 years ago lol. Im using this thread as my own, feel free to add to it!

4 Likes

Wishing you strength for your weekend. Challenges are going to come. You have to be stronger. You’re seeing the positive side of not drinking. You’re realizing some of the benefits. They will continue to come. Be strong stay close to here ask for help as you need to.
You don’t need to drink. You’ve chosen not to drink.

1 Like

Thanks @Alisa stronger together. Posting here lots!

1 Like

You don’t have to own the alcoholic label forever but if it helped you not drink today, let it. You can call yourself anything you want as long as the adjective sober applies.

You’re doing great. Keep going!

3 Likes