Am I still sober?

Okay so I’ve been clean for well since December 6th of last year and yesterday someone gave me a Lyrica and I am always in a lot of pain and they help a lot I don’t plan on doing it again it was only because I was in so much pain would you consider this a relapse? Because if it is I’m going to be so broken even more than I already am I don’t really think that I considerate a personal relapse but I’m totally open to POSITIVE FEEDBACK this is really hard for me to even put out there so please no hate
xo love,
aMaNdA

I get the impression that if someone says its a relapse then your going to think I might as well relapse all the way.

You have to answer that question for yourself.

Some will say it wasn’t prescribed. Its a relapse.

Some will say that you used a pain medication for pain. As long as you don’t make a habit of using non prescribed medications your ok.

It sounds like your genuinely concerned and don’t want to have a full blown relapse. Id be kind to yourself and use extreme caution about using non prescribed medications again.

I googled it. I’d be scared to take it if it was prescribed.

To make sure Lyrica is safe for you, tell your doctor if you have ever had:

• lung disease, such as chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD);
  • a mood disorder, depression, or suicidal thoughts;
  • heart problems (especially congestive heart failure);
  • a bleeding disorder, or low levels of platelets in your blood;
  • kidney disease (or if you are on dialysis);
  • diabetes (unless you are taking pregabalin to treat diabetic neuropathy);
  • drug or alcohol addiction; or
  • a severe allergic reaction (angioedema).

Do not give this medicine to a child without medical advice.

• Pregabalin is not approved for use by anyone younger than 18 years old to treat nerve pain caused by fibromyalgia, diabetes, herpes zoster, or spinal cord injury.
  • Pregabalin is not approved for seizures in anyone younger than 1 month old.
6 Likes

Yeah I completely agree with everything you said no I don’t want to have a full-blown relapse and I’m pretty sure I won’t I’m very determined even though like I said having 8 months should make me happy but my depression is just it’s like when I was using I was quote unquote having fun and now I’m having a hard time finding purpose in my life but yes Lyrica can be very habit forming and it’s not a regular thing like I said I have a lot of pain that I deal with every day this day just happened to be really bad and I’ve had other really bad days and I haven’t used so I’m going to consider this a slip up and never do it again

2 Likes

Congrats on 8 months. I’ve been sober for a while and I still have depression at times.

Sometimes it makes no sense why I feel depressed. For me, my depression is very similar to addiction. If I feed the desire to get high, the better it sounds. If I feed my depression, the deeper I fall into it. Being in chronic pain is hard. I hope you feel better!

This is a great place with an amazing community of people who support each other! I’m glad you found it! Welcome!

2 Likes

Welcome Amanda.
First of all : only you decide whether yiu consider something a relapse or not.
Which also depends of course, on what your your drug of choice used to be.

What I find more note worthy : tell that friend it is nót okay to provide medication like Lyrica to others. It’s not an innocent pill…

If you feel you need pain meds, ask a medical.

As said above, depressions may still be there when you’re sober. If you feel you need help with that, ask professional help for it. Many of us needed it…

2 Likes

Do you speak to your gp about your pain and geting to the root cause of it?
Getting on a pain management plan, that’s safe for you moving forward would be a good option.
Hope it’s not long term chronic pain :slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

I think Jason had just about the constructive feedback I can imagine. And as said, whatever you may decide, it may be worth discussing pain management with a doctor.

I watched back pain knock one of the most sober legends I know way off from years of solid sobriety.

Tread carefully and to thine own self be true. :pray: