Amber’s road to recovery

Today marks the day that will hopefully change my life. Drinking has brought me nothing but unhealthy decisions, arguments, and time away from my friends and family. I want to find myself again and be truly happy in the life I live. My relationships will my spouse and friends will grow, but knowing I’ll be doing this on my own will be tough.
Any tips you guys could give me on staying sober ?What works for you guys ? Thanks in advance :heart:

15 Likes

Welcome Amber! My first tip would be to learn everything you can about your addiction and your recovery. Here are some good resources. Most of us used some combination of groups and books / podcasts:

Resources for our recovery

My second tip would be to take the opportunities you have in places like groups (free) or counselling (usually costs a bit of money; worth it if you have the cash but not at all required - the groups are like free therapy), to learn emotional coping skills. In addiction we ran from emotion, from feeling, from being present. In sobriety we learn to be present.

My third tip would be to enjoy the process of getting to know your sober self. She’s a deep and interesting soul and you will enjoy her richness. Appreciate her - and you will learn to appreciate everything else too :innocent:

Welcome!

5 Likes

Welcome Amber! Congrats on your decision to be better! Spend time here. There’s a lot of information and great advice.

Get some great Quit Lit books and read everything! It does help. You can use the search function to look up any subject on this forum you might want to know about.

Glad you’re here!

3 Likes

Welcome Amber :pray:.

2 Likes

Welcome Amber,
This has been a great place for me to get support during my sobriety journey. There’s a lot of great helpful people here and we all have a lot in common when it comes to addiction. We can’t have just one. Have a good read around here. And join in when you feel comfortable. Ask questions. There’s always someone out there willing to help. That’s what helps us stay sober.
My best tool is gratitude. I’m so grateful to be sober and I realize I got a lot to be grateful for when I’m sober. My wife. My kids. My pets. No hangovers. Clear head. I start every day on the gratitude thread. It’s a great way to start my day after I read my devotionals. Daily Gratitude List #2
I hope to see you around.
You’re worth.
And this place works if you work it.
:pray:t2::heart:

3 Likes

I got sober the old fashion way. Rehab then the rooms of AA and the 12 steps. Don’t forget counseling, therapy and medication.

2 Likes