An atheist's higher power

I pray to a nameless, formless energy.
I pray to whatever gets astrophysicists out of bed in the morning. I pray to coincidences and inexplicable harmonies that arise from chaos. I pray to the source of my intuition. I pray to the imaginary foot, that rests on the accelerator, that is pushing our universe faster and faster apart.

Also, today’s daily Stoic directly relates to this:

“The soul of a man harms itself, first and foremost, when it becomes (as far as it can) a separate growth, a sort of tumour on the universe; because to resent anything that happens is to separate oneself in revolt from Nature, which holds in collective embrace the particular natures of all other things” — Marcus Aurelius

10 Likes

5 Likes

Really enjoyed this thread. Was a bit dejected that I’ve no concept of a higher power… but can accept that I don’t necessarily need to be able to define it in any logical format. It’s just… a higher power.

3 Likes

Hahaha. OMG you’re adorable :slight_smile:

Don’t see myself as spiritual… but I do believe in people… most are good and want others to be happy. Like the beauty of nature… even in the creepy stuff. I’ve enough things to imagine as higher power… Was at step AA meeting earlier… Step 2 … about HP. Lol. Walked out happy so who cares if I don’t get it.

4 Likes

Amen. Life is a big one for me, taken as a whole.

And here I posted some other thoughts.

2 Likes

I think the answer turned out to be 42. Yeah point and shrug… then work on the little problems don’t make you dizzy.

2 Likes

Thank you, Douglas Adams. :wink:

2 Likes

I do plan on wearing my Skeptics guide to the universe tee shirt to a meeting some day… Just for fun.

2 Likes

These feelings of you thinking "I’m going to get sober, alcohol is poison, I’m not going to pick up the bottle again- that is your higher power. The demon is what has led you to drinking in the past

I don’t go to AA, but whenever it references higher power, can you reframe it as the good in yourself? The part of you that wants you to succeed and pull you out of these terrible debilitating habits youve formed?

Just throwing some ideas out there, hopefully it helps even if it opens you up to a different way of viewing things. Good luck with everything!!

2 Likes

That’s bizarre. I was just gonna refer to spirituality as the will inside us all to be good and productive.

2 Likes

Definitely. I’ve thought about AA and I would be in the same predicament myself. And I think you worded it better than I did haha

1 Like

4 Likes

3 Likes

It’s a bit weird but the main thing there is a bunch of people who have been living sober and happy for it. There is some kind of relief in saying out loud what’s been good or pissing you off that day without judgement. Usually leave feeling like a weight has been lifted… so hope to keep at it… Doubt there will ever be a secular version of it near me.

2 Likes

That is much easier to comprehend. Thanks.

It’s what makes sense to me…

There are secular meetings online …

1 Like

It’s sort of how I’ve been mentally processing the steps… I can read that without feeling a bit of a failure / fraud.

1 Like

Me too brother…me too.