And counting!

One week in today! I’ve encountered a lot of drinking routine triggers as well as sneaky surprises and faired them well but not without struggle and using some tools. Proud I’ve made it through each day of the week, a weekend, playing tennis, doctors appointments, and being with my family and my partner all sober. One week and counting!

26 Likes

17 Likes

Congrats on 1 week! The first few weeks were the hardest for me. Then you finally start to establish a sober routine and it becomes more normal. Keep up the hard work!

2 Likes

9 Likes

By reading posts here I learned how to adjust my start date on the counter—I had spent a day and night not drinking before I found this app, so my milestones were always a day off from the counter. It’s a little thing but I’m really relieved I could fix it since I’m taking it ODAAT.

Anyways, TEN DAYS! I joined Women For Sobriety so I have a Group I can go to. I’ve already been to a couple of Zoom meetings and participated and I like it and they are welcoming. The only bummer is they don’t do sponsors, and I think I might like one, a sobriety sponsor, but I didn’t really click with AA. WFS has 13 empowering Statements and they are mailing me a Newbie welcome packet of literature. I just started WFS on Wednesday morning so I really am a Newbie to the Group and to Sobriety.

Im rambling—good morning! :relieved:

6 Likes

Way to go! The first weeks are the toughest as you and your body make adjustments and cope with mental and/or physical withdrawal.

There are lots of tools and strategies to use to get through those first few weeks. I hope you feel confident that you have a lot. Checking in here many times a day really helps too.

Keep up the excellent work and ask for help as you go along. One day at a time is very real, especially at first and especially in new situations. I wish you the best!!

1 Like

Thank you @LAB ! I’m very respectful of my sobriety and not taking it for granted or taking it easy. I’m not letting my guard down. :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

Congratulations on your 10 days!! I was a member of WFS for awhile prior to coming here. I found it to be a helpful community of support. Happy you have other support!!

2 Likes

Thanks! I knew I needed face to face meetings/groups that I could hang on until so I didn’t pick up. I love this App and come on multiple times a day. :slightly_smiling_face:

3 Likes

Congratulations on your 10 days :slightly_smiling_face::+1:

1 Like

Thank you! I’m really proud of myself and grateful. I keep reading everyone’s posts and I’m especially proud I didn’t give up because rumor has it these first few days and weeks are the hardest.

1 Like

Your doing brilliant, breaking the viscous cycle takes alot of strength and effort but is so worth the life we are giving ourselves sober.

1 Like

Good morning. Woke up feeling rested. I’m actually getting real sleep and real rest. Just looked at my calendar here; 30 days seems SOOOOOO far away. I can’t imagine accumulating more time even though I’m being active in my recovery and taking it ODAAT. I feel like I’m still in baby steps which makes sense, of course, bc I am. I’m jumping ahead of myself and really trying to just live each day sober. But looking at that calendar and reading posts celebrating months and years, I’m really happy for them and impressed, but my mind is saying that’s impossible for myself. I don’t feel like giving up or picking up, I just feel like I’m at the bottom of Everest looking up. Have a great sober weekend! This will be my second one, but this time I have a Group with Zoom Meetings (WFS) to help me through.

4 Likes

I feel we are all in day1 we are all just that 1 drink away, from ruining the good sober life.
You will get there.
Try and concentrate more on the life style changes you plan to make and are making more than worrying about the days, as this could just leave you feeling like you have a long way to go when in fact your doing brilliant and you have started the journey, that’s the hardest bit be kind to yourself, your making so many great changes what day your on isnt as Important than how feeling great about your success and achievement for being sober today is :hugs: dont dismiss how well you have done, and how much effort it took physically and mentally to stop the vicious cycle. You did that and I’m proud of you :hugs: be proud of yourself.

2 Likes

Ok here we go, County Fair sober. I can handle this, beer is expensive there anyways. I don’t usually go to the fair, so it’s not a trigger for me. But, I was getting ready and the thought just crossed my mind: Mmm, a nice cold beer will be so good walking around in the heat. Nope! Anyways, just checking in acknowledging my Addict Voice and I will check in afterwards for accountability.

Total non-issue. Fair was empty and kinda lame but the 4-H animals were cool. A cow had my name—spelled the same and everything!

5 Likes

At Day 13, almost at my Two Week Milestone and I’m very proud of myself but not relaxing, doing the work for my active recovery everyday. This week I am focusing on this Statement:

“Problems bother me only to the degree I permit. I now better understand my problems. I do not permit my problems to overwhelm me.”

My emotions are raw in this beginning of my sobriety (you have to feel it to heal it) and little things that would send me to my glass I now say the statement, breathe until it passes, and am gentle with myself. I try to catch my temper, impatience, annoyance when it flares up and redirect that energy and thinking very gently without self-judgement. Crying and being sensitive is a different story—that state of being just ambushes me and I’m suddenly not breathing and crying. So I guess I need to take some deep breaths when that happens and close my eyes and let the emotion wash over me and float down the River of my Thoughts and Mind. I’m a work I progress, every minute, every day.

Happy Monday!

4 Likes

I know that feeling! I’ve felt that feeling 3 times now. But the “one day at a time” while cheesy is the only thing that matters. Stack minutes, stack hours and we stack days. I have 69 days today and it’s a miracle honestly. Worry about today or a smaller increment of time if you need to. :purple_heart:

2 Likes

Rough afternoon. Don’t want to drink, but some consequences from not being sober are coming home to roost. I’m trying not to live in the shame and guilt of my non-sober behavior (I wasn’t drunk I just wasn’t sober). Trying to accept that I have to sit with these feelings and be uncomfortable and acknowledge and accept the consequences from f*cking things up. Happy I didn’t want to reach for a glass, but really regretful of the mess I’ve made. I really screwed myself over.

Wow! 69 days, Congratulations!

1 Like

Thank you! Unfortunately the beginning of this journey can come with a lot of shame and regret. Try not to sit with it too long. You can’t change the past but you can do the next right thing. If you haven’t engaged with AA, I’d highly recommend a meeting. I wouldn’t be sober without the program.