Anger towards hearing others excuse behavior with "being super high"

Since I have quit consuming THC (after 12 years of nearly daily use, often throughout the entire day), I have found myself becoming increasingly annoyed with people when they say things like “What? Sorry I’m super high” or other bullshit like that.

I know that I’m struggling with accepting others’ differences in their journeys because my choice to become sober is still relatively fresh (almost a month). I am finding myself feeling very judgemental of others who are partaking, especially at a similar level to what I did before.

It just feels so maddening, because most of my mental health issues were directly tied up with my addiction. I used to stay disconnected from myself, and avoid responsibility.

So now, when I hear others respond with “what? I’m kinda drunk right now”, especially to a message about a very serious anti-LGBTQ+ law that’s about to be sneakily passed in MO, I feel infuriated.

People keep themselves in a state of USELESSNESS.

It’s what I used to do too.

Idk if this will ever get better… I feel bad for being so judgemental, and I keep it to myself… But internally I want to shake these people and yell at them for cutting their own legs out from under them. And I’m especially struggling with feeling like it’s “pathetic”.

I know this probably means I need to bring more compassion to my former, addicted self as well. More inner work to do.

I just wanted to post about it here so that I wouldn’t upset any friends on social media… Could’ve kept it as a note in my phone too, but I thought maybe this community could offer some support, or at least validate this experience.

:blue_heart: Sad to be feeling so mean towards others, but so so done with hearing these bullshit excuses.

2 Likes

Think this is more todo with your own self worth and anger as your showing internal pain from your change of circumstances yes youve changed your situation but remember not everybodys in that process right now you just need to keep your moral compass as you clearly do have because you recognise you feel bad for feeling like that but try and have an outlet before it turns into a negative one towards someone or yourself just keep focusing on your sobriety and a bit self appreciation your doing great as far as im concerned dont let them thoughts of anger control your emotions sweetie x

3 Likes

:relieved::relieved::relieved: thank you friend. I agree with your words completely. And the only thing I can control is myself anyway, so it’s better to focus on that, and just find outlets for the feelings like you said :smiling_face_with_three_hearts::two_hearts:

1 Like

100% you keep doing you your doing awesome :ok_hand:

1 Like

In my experience, people are robots fr they don’t want to talk about anything that truly matters . They just want the next iPhone or to see the next big trending movie :joy::joy::joy::yawning_face: that’s ok we will have to be the ones to make real change in the world. The majority will always be sheeple . Maybe you’re just now noticing from these ppl since youre thinking more clearly . I feel it I was talking about how much pedophilia infuriated me and my friend just ignored the whole msg and tbh that was a breaking point and I blocked her ass.

1 Like

Please remember that Talking Sober rules require members to remain civil in discussions. Our goal here is to support each other in recovery. Avoid arguments and off topic comments in order to prevent derailing the thread and requiring moderators to remove posts.

3 Likes

Is there a specific part of my post that does this? Very open to critical feed back, and would be willing to edit if so. :purple_heart:
I understand this also might be a general reminder, and either way thank you!

2 Likes

No worries, your post is absolutely fine. It was not you Rosa was referring to. There was a back and forth between two other members that was inappropriate and removed.

2 Likes

Thank you for letting me know! :smiling_face_with_three_hearts::purple_heart:

2 Likes

Exactly what @SassyRocks stated, you have no worries! I appreciate your engagement in the community!

2 Likes

Yes…When you are sober around people who are drunk or high the reality of their empty and selfish words and actions is very ominous. There is nothing wrong with feeling that way. You can always try to remove yourself from these situations also.

2 Likes

I totally understand; I was really angry about a situation where clearly things were beyond my control - and it made me mad that this other person was making such a bad decision and hurting their family.

A bunch of folks reminded me to focus on what I can control, and the positive aspects of my sobriety :slight_smile:

1 Like