Angry Drunk to Happy Drunk

It’s a pattern when I drink, I start off a bunch of fun, the life of the party and have a great time. After many drinks something usually small can trigger me or I can be provoked on my own to becoming this asshole and vicious person. The anger, drama and aggression comes out and in this path I have emotionally hurt countless of people. I am deeply sorry for this kind of behavior and don’t understand why can’t I have a good time instead of flipping out all the time? After many years of this cycle, I am exhausted. Now, I am able to go without drinking for a while however when I do drink I am usually back out of control, into this angry, aggressive and dramatic monster… so, I thought if I healed myself, went to therapy and took some breaks from drinking, I would change. Yes, I have indeed grown but my behavior under Alcohol remains triggered and aggressive, infact it’s even worse at times. I am feeling the guilt and failure especially after going through therapy and breaks from drinking. I would love to hear from others their experiences and if therapy worked for them and can one actually change from angry drunk to happy drunk?

4 Likes

I’d say here at Talking Sober we try to not be any kind of drunk. I think that angry drunk doesn’t disappear and morph into a normal drinker.
I’m glad you came here, stick around and read other’s experiences.

5 Likes

You’re not going to turn into a happy drunk. You’ll only get angrier. Been there, done that. Not sure I was ever a happy drunk, but I only got angrier with time.

3 Likes

Welcome to the forum!

In my experience, the adverse effects of alcohol only become worse with time, never better. This is from a psychological and physical perspective.

If you are a black out drinker, you will continue to black out. If alcohol triggers an angry response, you will continue to become more angry. It’s likely that anger will bleed over into the periods when you are sober because the entire brain function is affected. There’s no magic wand in your future. It doesn’t matter how much therapy or self-help you practice. Alcohol has proven what its going to do to you. You will always be a ticking time bomb when you drink.

Again, welcome. I hope you stick around.

2 Likes

I too have the same problem, thats why it is all or nothing for me, alcohol is like guns, some people are responsible with them and carry them responsibly… And others not so much. People like us are just wired wrong for alcohol :unamused: fucking sucks but it is what it is. Day 48 of sobriety over here

4 Likes

Happy drunk. Is that like a jumbo shrimp?

3 Likes

Thank you.

1 Like

Smart and will do. Thanks!

Congratulations on 48 days. It’s good to know I am not alone.

1 Like

Been there done that. I too myself thought I was ok and figured out real quick I turned into a passive aggressive asshole. Not to mention I took it out on the ones I loved. I finally came to realize how selfish I was being in doing this to myself and to them. Drinking to us here does not promote anything positive. Atleast for me. Not even one drink. Glad you’re here with us.

4 Likes

I appreciate this and will reflect on your words. Very straight forward and honest. Thanks!

1 Like

You bet! I am 51 years old and have been trying to quit alcohol for just about 1/2 my life. I speak from a place of those lost years and all the experiments I did to try to be a “normal” drinker (and a happy drunk).

Do some reading around here. You’ll find a lot of stories you can relate to.

1 Like

I’m afraid not. Alcohol is called fire water for a reason. It acts as a depressant, so while you may feel better at first, most people descend into anger or grief as things progress. I am so glad you seem to be aware of yourself and how alcohol effects you. This will really help you maintain your sobriety when you’re ready. I know for me I just got fed up and said enough is enough. I’m tired of hurting the ones I love and waking up sick. I know it wont be easy, but it’s worth it for your mental and physical health, your relationships, and your sense of self.

Perhaps the bigger question is why do you feel the need to drink in the first place? Answering that will help you develop coping skills that work for you rather than harm you. :heart:

6 Likes

Thank you! Wise words.

Sounds like you’re in denial bud and you have the answer you just don’t want to see it

1 Like

I used to be a happy drunk. Then more and more I would change to a angry drunk as the hours of drinking went. Aswell I started to be a violent drunk and a reale pice of shit. This scared me alot and filled me with regrets and bad conscience.

2 Likes

I tried it- it didn’t work, I would always turn into a nasty aggressive, sometimes abusive drunk. My partner should have left me countless times but he knew it was the booze, however 16 days ago I said no more cos I couldn’t keep hurting him, my kids, my family
I wish I had the answer to be a happy drunk, but if your like me the only answer is not to be a drunk in the first place, then you become happy :grin:

3 Likes

I thought I was a happy drunk a life time ago. But now a realize I wasn’t. What is a happy drunk? I geuss there is no such thing, or it should be “wearing the clown mask”. Decades later I became the Devil himself while drunk, that scared the shit out of me. Never, never again I wanna become that person again. So the only way is the sober way of doing things.

3 Likes

I’ve always been a happy drunk… And I’m still in a sobriety forum and in AA because I am still a drunk.

This sounds like it might be a moment of clarity for you. Ask yourself if you might have a problem with alcohol?

1 Like

Welcome. For me, happiness is being sober. Alcohol has given me nothing of value. It has taken a lot from me.

3 Likes