Another relapse this is never going to end

I will be giving them all a try and try to check in twice a day on here for tips and motivation. Deep down I have a lot of issues regarding the way I feel about my self low self esteem and feel am no good. I really think I need some counciling to also gonna try some fitness

1 Like

Recovery and working the NA steps. I helping me rebuild my selfworth menā€¦
The using and behavior what comes with that broke it all down for me.

Donā€™t try to do to muchā€¦ You wonā€™t have the energy. Better do one thing proper then lots a bit.

3 Likes

In your head you want to change. Yes I think thatā€™s where we all start unfortunately also in our head weā€™re quite happy doing what we are doing. Itā€™s time to look into your heart and soul, itā€™s time to start loving yourself for a change. All of us have a choice, itā€™s not will power, will power is you having an argument with yourself, should I, shouldnā€™t I, can I, canā€™t I. You must make the choice there are only 2. Every other day when Iā€™m alone in the house with drugs holding it in my hands my head tells me all the reasons to have it but my heart tells me the one reason not to and thatā€™s because Iā€™ve made the decision to quit, thatā€™s not what I do anymore, Iā€™m no longer a user of alcohol or drugs, thatā€™s not who or what I am and Iā€™m fine with that because thatā€™s MY choice. The days I canā€™t make the choice my HP takes over. Admit to yourself you are powerless with your addiction let a HP do the work. Every morning say ā€œPlease give me the strength, courage, acceptance and forgiveness to get through one more dayā€. Not to anyone or anything specific, just ask.

5 Likes

Itā€™s just trying to get wrong enough to fight the temptation and not pick up that first drink that I find so hard. And I have my mum who has terminal cancer witch has hit me really hard and I keep finding my self picking up the bottle

1 Like

Questions are how many more times do you want to keep repeating this cycle? How is picking up that bottle helping you cope with what your mum is going through? How wrong to you have to be until you chose what you know is right?

Alcohol will always be an option as long as you allow alcohol to be an option.

Iā€™m sorry youā€™re struggling and hurting so much, Iā€™m so sorry to hear about your mum. But the only way you can really start helping yourself or to allow yourself to fully be present for your mum is to no longer have alcohol as an option.

Use the tools so many on this site have suggested to replace alcohol in your life. Use this site, use meetings, use your higher power, use reading, use writing, use exercising, use eating for now. There are so many options for you besides alcohol. You just need to cross alcohol off as an option.

Sending you some strength and love. Good luck on your journey.

7 Likes

Hi there, just dropping some advice from a constant relapser who couldnā€™t get past 5 days before hitting the reset button. I would be woe is me I canā€™t make this stick Iā€™m trying I really am. Iā€™ve tried cutting back with the intention of stopping, stopping for 5 days and bam drinking to black out yet again. I was still working and didnā€™t think I was as bad as the alcoholics on here, in AA, or in the recovery services. I truly thought I could do it by will power alone and a hypnosis cd, maybe reading occasionally. I couldnā€™t do groups because I was working.
I thought I was trying when really I wasnā€™t I was good at justifying why I couldnā€™t, I was good at making excuses and damn good at convincing myself I wasnā€™t that bad just needed a little help. :rofl::joy::rofl: Well hereā€™s the thing, that is the addict brain talking.
I carried on relapsing until the inevitable happened, my drinking got so bad I attempted suicide, my drinking got so bad I caught my son in the eye leaving him with a black eye at 5yrs old, I ended up under social services and had to be supervised with them 24 hrs a day for 3 months I wasnā€™t even allowed to Bath him. I am damn lucky I didnā€™t have my children taken away. Then only then I threw myself at everything, smart, AA, Recovery services, GP social services, parenting courses, mental health and CBT, I had to quit my job. Everything and I mean everything had to change because God knows what I was doing before sure as hell wasnā€™t working.
Yes itā€™s scary, yes itā€™s a massive change and itā€™s all unknown. But I tell you this I have never looked back and regretted it, I am 18mths sober now, donā€™t get to the point I did or worse DEATH,because that happens too, before you head the advice of others, just question what are you really doing for recovery. Tell your doctor about your problem tell someone you trust because hiding it rarely ever works

12 Likes

Maybe get an accountability partner?. Someone who will check on you and you can do the same. Working my program I relapsed many times till i finally got a sponsor that we call each other every day. It has helped me so much. Just a thought.

5 Likes

What a great response Michelle. You should become a counselor! You made me sit up and take notice!:grin:

5 Likes

I will be attending two aa meetings as of this week including excersize and long walks to clear my head. Put a plan in place and I will follow. Will be checking in on here also for moral support. Will also try get back into my gp

8 Likes

Freaking love hearing that @Steviefoster! Its definitely not easy, but it doesnā€™t have to be as hard as it has been for you either. Each day you get a win over alcohol something starts to build inside of you. Learn to love that feeling and keep carrying that over to the next day.

Shitty days will happen, I found that writing about what was fucking with my head really helps me to understand whatā€™s going on instead of just reacting to that emotion, majority of the time that immediate reaction was wrong.

Just commit to yourself that alcohol is no longer an option.

You can do this. Just worry about today and you can manage this sobriety thing. Congrats on your plan, hell of a start!

5 Likes

I feel you broā€¦

My dad has a terminal illness toā€¦
Itā€™s sometime taking the best of me.
He keeps making the unhealthy choices.

I find in these matters the serenity prayer helps me.

Give me strength to accept the things I cannot change
The power to change the things I can
And the wisdom to know the difference.

God speed. And do your mom right buddyā€¦ Leave that alc alone!

5 Likes

Great post @ThajokerNL, my heart tugged at your last line.
@Steviefoster itā€™s a gift, showing your mom you want to be better than the drink.:gift_heart:

4 Likes

Sounds like some solid plans there. Follow through on them and youā€™ll be well on your way! Weā€™re rooting for you.

3 Likes

Am so sorry to here that mate about your dad we are all here for you as you already know. I am going to do my best I may try some meditation at night I have heard thatā€™s supposed to be very good.

3 Likes

Heā€™ll be Allright I guess if he lives or diesā€¦
It is life innit?
However I donā€™t want to lose him.
He should be doing better for himself.got a new heart valve and having COPD but still smoking and drinkingā€¦

About meditation, Iā€™d advise guided meditation. I tend to drift off and a voice keeping me there works so well.

We got this bro :muscle:t2:

2 Likes

Ow no thatā€™s not good I guess you canā€™t change people that donā€™t want to change or see no problems with there actions all we can do is be there to support your doing a great job. I will give that a go. Am just checking in for morning focus

5 Likes

Iā€™m a trained drug and alcohol recovery coach now :joy::grin:

3 Likes

Wow just read this post.
Tearsā€¦ I made it out before social services and what notā€¦ But I would have been there just the same.

Thank you for you honesty. This is growth right here :heart::hugs:

1 Like

Thatā€™s sounds like your really putting thought into your recovery and that my friend will hold you well in the bigger picture.