Another sober week

Hi all hope are well. . Slowly creeping up to 60 days sober one day at a time but the cravings for a drink are still strong has anybody got any tips on how to deal with them am OK during the day just struggling in the evenings?

4 Likes

I struggled in the evenings too. And flashes of cravings come now and again (though they don’t take control of me the way I used to let them).

Counselling and meetings helped me. Lots of them. Meetings are great because they’re free and you can find one 24 hours a day, either in person or online - here’s some online ones:

Online meeting resources

A meeting is a safe place. The cravings pass once you recognize they have no real power to control you. They’re like a breeze or a wind blowing over a mountain. However strong the wind is, it is powerless against the mountain, whose rocks are rooted in the ground. Grounded.

Take care and don’t give up.

2 Likes

The urges will diminish over time. I have a daughter and spending time with her coloring or doing legos helped me overcome the urge. It also gave us quality time together to help rebuild our relationship. If that wasn’t enough, I would hop on an online meeting or come here and read a lot.

I get cravings really bad about 3:30/4pm…I drink a lot of other non alcoholic drinks right now and last night I tried to totally distract myself by organizing my Kitchen cupboards🤣
I spend a lot of time on here! Make sure I eat well. Phone someone and pace around the house. Exercise can help.( or a meditation but I find it really hard to sit down and meditate when I’m having a craving it just doesn’t work for me but I think it does for others) Sharing my feelings about my cravings and posting really helps me because it motivates me to stay strong for everyone else on here too (but more importantly for me of courses) and everyone’s encouraging words and success stories help me though. Reach out anytime.