Anthem of the Day (Part 1)

I remember the first time I heard the White Stripes, I would’ve been 12 or 13 (2001), they had just released “White Blood Cells” (I was unaware of it or them), and I saw the video for “Fell in love with a girl” by pure chance – it was one of those “What is THIS?!” moments. It was the very beginning of the “garage rock revival” that happened in the early 00s.

I realized recently I had never seen video of them live.
I think what was so intriguing about them for me is that their brand of garage-rock blues with a bit of country twang logically has the potential to become played-out and boring super quick. However, with the strength of the songwriting as well as their regular experimentation with tempo and texture, they manage to keep it fresh and interesting – and that is some major noise coming from just two people. Helps that Jack White has some serious stage presence.

Worth a watch. The song itself starts at the 2min mark, but the lead-in is good too.

6 Likes

I love The White Stripes… even Meg’s simplistic but engaging drum skills. Jack is amazing, one of the best guitar players and songwriters out there.

2 Likes

Meg was perfect for the White Stripes. Anything fancier wouldn’t quite fit. She does her job and does it really well. She has a bit of magnetism like Jack too, love watching her hammer on the drums.

1 Like

One more, because I missed it yesterday.

Yesterday marks 30 years since “Loveless” was released, and album that had an immeasurable influence of my musical tastes and the trajectory of my musical interests when I heard it for the first time in late 2006. It was the very first album I bought for my record collection, ~10 yrs ago or so, back when I lied to myself that I’d “amass a small collection, only of albums which are of major significance in my life” (lol, LIES).

If you have never heard the album, do yourself a favor.

Edit: TS is telling me that @Hailstrom already posted this one last month. Hi buddy!

3 Likes

Exactly, her drumming had personality! For The White Stripes style, that fit much better than a drummer with a lot of technical skill.

2 Likes

They are awesome. I went to see a documentary a few years back about them and Thurston Moore was taking questions. My mate went full on fangirl but to be fair to him it was pretty amazing.

2 Likes

I missed the Neil Young run on but I had to post this one a little late but

This song is always so much fun to play live, It’s one of those fun rocker tunes that everyone knows and it turns into total improv jam session.

The original solo I don’t even think Neil Young knows what it is he just takes the ‘Em Pentatonic and a trem
Bar and beats the hell out of it,

I improv something over that, and there’s so much you can do it makes for an interesting run every time

6 Likes

Anthem for today :facepunch:t2:

5 Likes

Didn’t realise TS was that clever :thinking:

Yeah, Loveless is just about perfect.

2 Likes

:pray:

4 Likes

Yes YOT, was listening to them yesterday :facepunch:t2::facepunch:t2:

2 Likes
3 Likes

Rolling Stones Nov 6 2021 Live Show coming on, Las Vegas
9:00 pm PST Right Now

1 Like

Joni Mitchell was the “girl with flowers in her hair”
Robert Plant and Jimmy Page were infatuated with her and went to California to see her … and wrote the song.
Happy Birthday Joni Mitchell! 78.

2 Likes

Here’s the complete song ( not live )

4 Likes

When fear turns to confidence you see through all your minds tricks
Find reason to abstain which brings about an awakening

It relaxes into your soul
Doesn’t give you a sense that you’re missing out
It melds with your person
Becoming part of a movement that’s worth it

So many start the same way
Fucking afraid