Anthem of the Day (Part 1)

Yes!

4 Likes

@beardson @Hailstrom

Oooh yeah! I’ll jump in on this one.
Coincidentally was going to post some Yo La Tengo today, and I kinda lump them in with Stereolab in my head for some reason.

4 Likes

And now my originally planned Anthem of the Day…

3 Likes

Omar Souleyman’s been arrested in Turkey today, alleged to be a member of the PKK. Which is odd, because he’s a Syrian Arab, although he comes from a region where there is a Kurdish majority. Erdoğan doesn’t care for such technicalities though.

4 Likes
3 Likes

hope everyone is having a smooth day :100:

3 Likes
3 Likes

3 Likes

:heart_eyes::sweat_smile:

Such a great song :+1:

1 Like

We used to have this running gag in my old friends circle. When we knew the song but couldn’t come up with the band’s name it’d be Snow Patrol. Decent one this.

3 Likes

A friend of one posted this song their Instagram story and immediately memories form my teenage years were activated!!

4 Likes

Not an “anthem” for today, but just an interesting (and quite good) full performance from the Smashing Pumpkins well before fame, 1988.

Fuck me, they were a straight-up new wave band! (my favorite genre, FWIW)
As the comments note, they (thankfully) unleashed Jimmy Chamberlin to let him do his thing instead of these drum machine beats, and Billy discovered the fuzz pedal (and given his aesthetic, likely discovered MBV not long after – he’s looking like discount Kevin Shields here).

But this is actually some great music, and Billy’s voice is really suitable for this.
Also, I may need to borrow James Iha’s hairstyle.

Just very interesting to see/hear if you’re into SP at all. Great recording quality for the time, too.

5 Likes
3 Likes

Interesting seeing them so long ago, I had no idea they sounded like that originally. And cool that it’s all the same members, they evolved together.

15 year old me loved them. With my hair like Billy Corgan in that video :grimacing: I was obsessed with Mellon Collie and the Infinite Sadness. And I liked Siamese Dream a lot too. But those are the only 2 I know. I actually listened to a few songs recently and skimmed through Mellon Collie. One of the tracks that really jumped out at me was JellyBelly. I probably hadn’t heard it 20 years which is crazy.

Also, zero t-shirt silver trousers Corgan is the best Corgan.

4 Likes

not an anthem but i wanted to add this in for kicks

4 Likes

Haha, Billy Satriani over there!

2 Likes

haha absolutely

1 Like

Mellon Collie and Siamese Dream still hold up 100%. It’s so obvious listening to SD that Billy had been listening to Loveless quite a bit though :joy:

My favorite personally is Adore, the album after Mellon Collie. Pissed a lot of people off because it was quite different from it’s predecessor. Originally, it was supposed to be a “bare bones” album of acoustic guitar, banjo, and piano (which in itself, would be a different kind of departure – the outtakes from the recording session in this style are OUTSTANDING, btw)…but ultimately it became a goth-y, brooding album with electronic components. Some of the songs remained in that original style, though. Beautiful.

@les
Billy is a VERY underrated guitarist. Guy can absolutely go on a tear. I try not to say too many nice things about him though, lord knows his head is already firmly enough up his own ass :sweat_smile: (also note Jimmy effortlessly beating the piss out of his kit…love the drumming in this one). Think Jimmy might be my favorite drummer ever, after Stewart Copeland.

3 Likes

I don’t remember what I said :rofl:

1 Like
3 Likes