Anthem of the Day (Part 3)

Boudewijn de Groot - Jimmy

Another one from my mum’s collection. The Jimmy from the song title is seen here on the cover of the album, riding with his pa who’s one of the best known singers The Netherlands produced. I biked there may many times. Later Jimmy frequented the same bar I did. Small country.

How strong is the lonely cyclist
Who, bend over his steer,
against the wind
finds his own way?

How self assured the football player
who in front of the crowd
wins the match
thinks he’s the champion?

How satisfied the businessman laughs
without mercy who finds
his competitor beat,
himself almost going broke.

And I’m sitting here happily
with the little one in my lap.
The sun is shining, there is no reason
with shitty weather and lots of wind
to go cycling with the kid.

Please don’t let him become a football player,
they might kick him half to death. (2X)

But rather even that than the bag on his head of the businessman,
he’ll only get worse and worse from that. (10X)

6 Likes
5 Likes
6 Likes

Classic! Also from my mom’s collection haha. From the time of proper music and lyrics.

2 Likes
5 Likes

New Gel single :blue_heart:

Can’t wait to see them live in a month or so

4 Likes
5 Likes

It doesn’t get much more Eddie than this one.

6 Likes

I hadn’t thought about The Alan Parsons Project in a long time. Thanks for reminding me. I can never get enough Aimee Mann. Don’t think she’s ever written a bad song.

3 Likes

It’s hard for me to grok that he is almost 60. Dang.

1 Like

Feb 01 anny of Neil Young’s Harvest album.
Old Man and Heart of Gold.

5 Likes

Here he has a long introduction about why he wrote this song. All the musicians who used heroin who died or otherwise damaged themselves.

5 Likes

Turn up the bass!

4 Likes

Inflammable Material came out 44 years ago today. Still an epic album. And reggea songs played by punk bands still rule.

5 Likes

Agent Orange : Bloodstains

4 Likes

TW: drugs heroin

This song gets me right in the gut. Fuck heroin. That shit almost killed me. I overdosed at age 19 when I stupidly geezed it. If Nita hadn’t been there I definitely would have expired. I was turning blue. I know,fuck. It barely deterred me. I switched how I got it in me but it almost got me in another way. Still I am glad Neil wrote it.

4 Likes

TW: drugs. Heroin. Cocaine.

My Goodness, @Soberbilly I am so very grateful you were saved from the clutches of heroin the one time and all the times afterwards. I see you content and happy, on a good cosmic, high ( as in elevated) plane of awareness and consciousness for yourself and others, something a drug(s) would never have given you and almost took away from you.

This song, wiki says was written from the beginning to be anti cocaine. In my dense mind I never knew that till today. It further says that Eric Clapton started putting the word “dirty” in when he sings it. He does in this fairly recent video, age 70, I believe.

6 Likes

Shot entirely with the band members cell phones during COVID quarantine, a few months before Riley Gale fentanyl overdose :pensive:
RIP

4 Likes
4 Likes

TW:drugs

I cherish you and our connection :heart: and you also reminded me to add a trigger warning. I don’t want to trigger anyone. I feel how every one is trying their best to maintain sobriety in our sober fam. I had a rough time with the insidious powder as well. Miami was insane with it in the 80’s! Psychotic reaction! It took my best friend from me on my 43rd birthday. :hot_face:

3 Likes