Anxiety and early sobriety

Today I have almost 3 days sober. I have anxiety so bad I do not want to get out of bed. I went to a meeting but left early because I was so anxious. I can’t function like this. Has anyone else experienced this?

15 Likes

It will get better. Your brain is trying to figure this out. It will.

Try to use some relaxation strategies like calm breathing, get some fresh air. Drink plenty of water and eat nutritious foods. Listen to relaxing music. Take good care of yourself and this will improve.

The best part of sobriety, once your brain and body’s have adjusted, is a significant reduction in anxiety. Hang in there and be kind to yourself and soothe yourself.

4 Likes

I did! It gets better. Keep going to meetings, a good recovery program will help with anxiety and all the emotional stuff that comes up with sobriety.

6 Likes

My first week of sobriety I was very antsy. I was restless, shaky, couldn’t think, could barely talk coherently. By the end of that week I was able to function.

I pretty much lived on my couch that week, that and wore a path in the carpet from pacing back and forth.

Unfortunately, it’s all part of the process, but you only have to go through it once!

4 Likes

Congratulations on 3 days, that’s so amazing to hear, and to reach out and ask for help from others shows that you want sobriety.

Rest, water and fresh air. Start a gratitude list everyday. It will take some time, be easy on yourself. Talk about your anxiety with someone you trust. Keep up the good work. Good luck with your journey.

5 Likes

Congrats on 3 days!! Yes, it will pass like the others have said and it’s perfectly normal. The first few days are the hardest, don’t worry because it will get better :slightly_smiling_face:

3 Likes

You are not alone. Ive been there done that. Just remember everything is temporary even the unsettled antsy feelings. Sobriety gets way way better. Hold on tight one day at a time

1 Like

I totally get what you’re saying, I’m an alcoholic, and I am 4 days and 12 hours sober. And it is one of the hardest things I have chose to do. it bandaged my ptsd for years and now I have to confront every bit of it. I’m hanging in there. You can do it!

2 Likes

Me too. I couldnt sit still for the first few weeks. But it passes. Your body will get back in sync. Just keep going forward. I found that when I stay hydrated and do my best to stay present Im not as anxious. Hang in there. You can do this.

2 Likes

Definitely. Took at least 2 weeks for me. I remember being so anxious the sound of cars outside would jump startle me. Absolutely was horrible. Stick with it . So many people will reach for a drink to try and get rid of the feeling. It so important to remember what caused you to feel this way.

Best of luck and just take care of yourself.

2 Likes

It is quite common in early sobriety yes. Please contact a medical professional if it persists or if you are concerned.

2 Likes

Get phone numbers at meetings so you can lift the phone when your feeling shaky , remember everyone there has been were you are now wish you well

4 Likes

I deal with this too your not alone I hate it so much

2 Likes

I’m early sobriety I struggled with lasting through a whole meeting. But it did get easier once I got to know more people. The first few weeks the anxiety is definitely real, but getting into a healthy routine helped with that. It still does help me.

5 Likes