Anxiety and how to deal with it

How do you all manage anxiety without drinking? Mines is sky high right now.

1 Like

If you have Netflix, there’s a series on there from Headspace on meditation. I only watched the first one but I use the app all the time. Even just the sound of the guy’s voice is super calming. Meditation and meditation apps or YouTube for meditation music helps me tons. I had to try a few things before I found what worked for me. A calming warm beverage like herbal tea is nice, a hot or cold shower (cold snaps me out of anxiety sometimes) and massaging my own temples, neck and shoulders helps ground me. If you’re feeling any sort of panicky feelings, it can help to stop and shut your brain off by focusing on your senses. Are your feet planted on the ground? Are there and scents in the air? Do you hear any sounds? Etc. Google is your best friend, relaxation techniques and how to cope with anxiety. Hang in there, it does get better.

2 Likes

I needed meds over the summer when it was real bad, but usually a hard run /workout. It’s more difficult injured. Something to wear you out so your brain gets tired too and you can actually fall asleep at night. That was a big problem for me, my mind would spin and not let me sleep…

1 Like

Therapy. Meditation. More therapy. AA meetings. Working with other drunks. Therapy again. Medication. Therapy. Use the tools/steps of AA.

2 Likes

I like the Breethe app. They have all sorts of guided meditations. 5 minute ones 20 minute ones. Anxiety, spiritual, and relaxation. They even have one for election stress :crazy_face:

That and power walking with my angry rap music worked well for me on my first few months of sobriety.
:pray:t2::heart:

1 Like

I walk a LOT…I find the fresh air and nature very soothing to the soul. If there is a local animal shelter nearby I recommend volunteering…pet therapy is helpful for reducing symptoms of anxiety.

Psychotherapy, meditation and music…all very useful tools. Classical music works best for me, but everyone has their own fit.

I know how your feeling, but I promise you…once you have a firm consistent plan set in place those anxious feelings will lessen, and moving away from alcohol/addictive substances will :100: help you.

Sending positive vibes your way.

If all else fails come here and chat…distracting oneself can be huge when anxiety creeps in.

Stay safe and be Blessed :blush::raised_hands:t2::ocean:

1 Like