Anxiety help/question

Anyone have good advice on how to handle anxiety?

2 Likes

Working out , good diet, running in the evening, meditation, prayer… I find my therapy when I talk to other people.
Umm also remember that you are not your thoughts. The mind can be your best friend or your worst enemy.

8 Likes

Exercise. Hiking, bike rides, walking, lifting weights. Cool shower, warm bath. Avoid large crowds for a lil bit. Build up to things, slowly face small fears. Learn to be ok with being introverted and not always having something to say. It will all start coming back… Keep up the good work

4 Likes

I’m always open to new ideas. I’ll have to look into meditation more.

Exercising is my favorite thing but it leaves me out of breath as I get a little anxiety leaving home.

2 Likes

Me to man I did as well. Throw some headphones in, maybe start with a bike ride. Each person is different but with a lil practice each time you will learn something new and it will become easier. Or just put the head phones in and start with a small calming walk. Don’t worry about anything but enjoying the fresh air

1 Like

Exercise set goals , i started to talk at meetings got to know other sober people , had a bit of me time to reflect were i was at , told my mind that i was as good as anyone else and the fear became less , anxiety is just being fearfull of the unknown . cope in the day forget about tomoro, live life to its full we only have one wish you well

4 Likes

I exercise a lot, it really helps to burn through excess energy and nervous tension. I still deal with a lot of anxiety though, and the only thing that has made it bearable is God, honestly. I tried everything else. It’s a matter of changing your mindset too, so cognitive behavioral therapy can help too (although it never did for me).

Check out the mental heath memes thread…there is some really good advice on there. I hope you feel less anxious soon my friend, it’s an awful thing :pray:t2::two_hearts:

You can start with pushups at home. Or google chalistenics

Meditation helped me. Worth trying :muscle:

2 Likes

My anxiety can just suddenly appear without warning and this may sound cliche, but deep breaths helps and blanking your thoughts, imagine you are somewhere else, anything to slow your heartbeat down. There are breathing apps, I use Calm. Exercise, walking, running, gym, is also good, may feel crap whilst doing it, but you feel better afterwards. I also doodle, write in my diary, write poems, watch silly videos on FB, listen to music is great too, this distracts my thoughts. If you are like me, keep things festering for an age, then burst, talking is great, clears the head. Talk on here, there is always someone who has similar experience that can help. Take care :blue_heart:

1 Like

What has been most helpful to me is deep breathing, mindfulness (meditation and while doing chores, other “mindless” tasks), and reminding myself that I am not my thoughts. I observe my thoughts and do not have to choose to attach importance to them. A book called “The Untethered Soul” has been instrumental for me to learn to not be troubled by the incessant worry-chatter in my head.

Those things combined with being sure to get outside regularly, try for daily exercise (dance if you can!), and if the anxiety really cranks up, there are tons of free calming meditations on YouTube. Just look for “anxiety meditation” or “panic attack meditation “ if you really need to be talked down.

Good luck! I’m finally getting somewhere with mine by using these techniques and I hope you find what works for you.

2 Likes