Anxiety-induced Tears

Does anyone else experience this? My anxiety is acting up right now and I had to physically distance myself from alcohol in the house and go in my room to lock myself up. My mind is racing with too many thoughts at once about stupid things I said and did when I was younger, and I feel like crying from all this. I know this could be a gateway to spiraling into a depressive episode and consequently emotionally isolating myself from my support system and I don’t want to do it but my body is currently in flight mode. Cold fingertips, shaking body, and tearful eyes…

The only soft prayer I could say right now is, “Lord, help me”, because I couldn’t even think straight.

9 Likes

I hope you’re taking deep breaths right now if nothing else. I’ve only had this happen twice to me as far as my anxiety goes. Do you have any sour candy around? I know it’s weird but ive heard it helps. If I feel panic or anxiety coming on I get on YouTube and type in help with anxiety and so many asmr or other things come on that you can follow along to and that helps get me out of my head and back into the present. You didn’t run from your support system, you picked one and reached out which is so big. I’m here if you need a friend :black_heart:

4 Likes

I agree, find some deep breathing techniques, center yourself.

2 Likes

How are you doing? I have not had anxiety attacks but have experienced (still do) bouts of uncontrollable urges to cry. I do find that a cold shower or a walk outdoors in fresh air along with meditation or deep breathing help.

You are not alone my friend. I do hope that writing it out here helped you some and that you are feeling much better now.
Sending you strength and comfort and loads of love :hugs: :heart:

2 Likes

God, grant ME the serenity

2 Likes

Breathing exercizes and meditation can be very helpful with anxiety. I found this a good read about a special breathing technique called box breathing:

Maybe it’s helpful for you too.
:people_hugging:

Ps this read is for kids and teens, but it works for adults as wel but couldn’t find a good explenation online fast enough :wink:

3 Likes

It sounds like you’re experiencing a lot of overwhelming emotions and physical sensations due to your anxiety. It’s completely understandable that you felt the need to physically distance yourself from triggers like alcohol and seek some space in your room. Many people struggle with anxiety and find themselves caught up in racing thoughts and difficult emotions.

In moments like these, it can be helpful to focus on grounding techniques to help bring yourself back to the present moment. You might try deep breathing exercises, progressive muscle relaxation, or mindfulness meditation to help calm your mind and body.

2 Likes

Thank you for this reminder. I do notice more muscle tension in my shoulders and my jaw too and it’s all involuntary. I also notice that I feel like I’m holding my breath but not on purpose so the deep breathing technique somewhat alleviates this. After a warm bath, I continued with my tasks while I listened to informative videos. One of the videos I like is this one:

Dr. Maté has a calming way of speaking too which adds to just hearing a comforting sound.

We don’t have sour candy but we have Welch’s Fruit Snacks, so does that count? :sweat_smile:

Thank you for your supportive message :yellow_heart:

3 Likes

Thank you for sharing :pray: I’ll read it on my free time but I bookmarked it :blush:

1 Like

Hello, Jazzy :sunflower: I feel emotionally numb right now without the anxious feeling so far. It was more intense at the time I uploaded my post. Sometime tomorrow I will be going out with a cousin and a friend somewhere so hopefully that will also help take my mind off things.

Thank you, friend. I always appreciate you and your messages :pray::yellow_heart:

1 Like

I’m so glad that you had things to help you! I think any candy will help. I haven’t had to use it yet but I keep sour patch kids with me all the time since someone mentioned it and apparently some psychologists keep sour candy in their office.

Thanks for sharing the video! I have to find one of my favorites and I’ll send it to you soon. I used it the other day while I couldn’t fall asleep and was having anxiety. Keep me posted :black_heart::black_heart::black_heart:

1 Like

I am grateful to hear that you are feeling better than yesterday. I do hope the numb feeling also goes away. Way to keep working on yourself and not allowing yourself to drink as that would not solve any of what you are feeling.

Glad that warm baths, deep breathing and informative videos are your go to’s and helping. I do hope that socializing tomorrow will also help. We are here for you my friend. Much love :heart: :hugs:

1 Like

Just dropping by to check back in :black_heart:

1 Like

Hi, thank you for checking in :smiling_face: It’s much appreciated. I’m doing fairly better than the past few days. I’m focusing on doing my responsibilities while I also help my parents. I’m getting enough rest and food too. I hope you’re okay, @tifflynn07 :pray::smiling_face::yellow_heart:

3 Likes

I also sometimes get caught up in stupid things I’ve done or said in the past. One of my positive coping strategies is to think about the fact that others rarely obsess about my words or actions to this level. I try to imagine myself obsessing over something someone else said or did to this extent–in the same way that I am obsessing about myself. It always just seems silly because I never actually do that. I used to worry excessively over what someone else did or said, but it was in the context of me having done something wrong, and not in the, “wow that person is such a moron. How could they have done/said this stupid thing. God, I’m so embarrassed for them. What an idiot” way.

I hope that makes sense.

I’ve found that doing this, at the very least, breaks the chain of thoughts, because I’ve now forced myself to shift that thinking pattern that my body is reacting to. After that I try to move on to other thoughts before my obsessive thoughts can return. It isn’t perfect, and it might not work for everyone, but I thought I’d share in case it was useful.

Hang in there. Physically distancing yourself from your temptation was a smart move. Every step of the journey is important. I’m glad to read that you’ve been taking care of yourself the last couple days.

2 Likes