Anxiety, Panic, & first time recovery

I’m new here, attempting recovery first time, and don’t really have a community for this. Not because my people wouldn’t be supportive, but no one knows how bad I’m stuck to this annoying product. (Doing my best not to trigger anyone with my language here!)

I’ve never had a previous addiction to a substance so this is all new to me. I was raised in a seriously hyper religious environment and was raised to work obsessively, which created addictive tendencies before I realized i was highly susceptible to addiction.

I’ve been on the substance 100% of the time since 2016, I’ve probably given at least 40k to this addiction and it’s keeping me in debt. Can’t work without it which is obviously a no-no, can’t work somewhere longer than 3 years without panicking and leaving bc “what if”. Panic episodes are my every day and I just cannot live like this. The cons list is a mile long as opposed to the pros of “smiling, eating, and sleeping”. Which are important also… but still.

The hard part is watching w*ed help so many others clear their addictions. I guess I assumed I was “safe”, but here i am sick with withdrawals at work and I just don’t know how safe it is for me anymore.

Thanks for listening.

2 Likes

Welcome, Emily!! You are in the right place here. A lot of good support.

2 Likes

Thanks Adam! I really appreciate that

1 Like

Hey welcome to the community. Have you had any contact with your doctor, and be honest with them about what is going on. They can help you with the anxiety which could be contributing to the addiction

2 Likes

Hi! Thank you, I really appreciate this tip.
My doc and I are meeting Friday to talk next steps. I’ve always been very open with them about my use which I’m glad about, but it’s definitely time.
:black_heart:

2 Likes

Welcome Emily!! It sounds like you are ready to make a change and I hope you will find this community to be helpful and supportive in your journey. Change is hard and scary, but it is 100% possible and a healthier life awaits. Talking with your doctor sounds like a really great start! Keep us posted and do read and post here…it can help so much…especially in our early days, weeks, months. Glad you are here!! :heart:

3 Likes

5 days clean! Hadn’t gone 1 day in 7 years, prior.

Anxiety is significantly less, and my moods are way more stable. I sincerely thought that product was helping me and it is blowing my mind how much it wasn’t, but I guess that’s the point of this.

Hell yeah :tada: Proud of myself

1 Like