Any musicians here? Does playing music aid your recovery?

I saw this post a while back and wanted to share my experience.

I am a musician, I was in a band for several years that played locally. Drugs and alcohol was a big part of the scene. The band eventually broke up after the drummer passed away (kidney failure from booze). I had always thought that drugs and alcohol was the source of creativity and when I got sober, I feared I wouldn’t be able to produce quality music. I was wrong.

Sobriety brings a clarity and focus I did not have before. It makes the creative process so much more enjoyable and productive. Playing, making music helps because it frees my mind from the attachment of the moment. It melts away stress and frustration.

And even though booze and music went hand in hand, I’ve been able to completely detach that association.

3 Likes

Have you tried Jamkazam or Sonobus for virtual jamming? They work pretty well.

@Dejavu thank you for sharing and I couldnt agree more. That is the big misconception with musicians that used with music. I felt the same way but is is better today!

1 Like

Havent heard of them but i will check them out. Fortunately I play several instruments so i lately have been laying down rhythm with a guitar, mandolin, and a
5 string violin (fiddle), and then play over top that for melody / improvisation.

2 Likes

Right on!

Of the 2, sonobus is better in my opinion. I used to play with a group of guys, we started with jamkazam then switched to sonobus. We were all within 100 miles of one another so the latency was minimal, about 30ms. There is a bit of a learning curve, but its a great alternative to jamming live, plus you don’t have to haul gear around and you never have to leave your home.

4 Likes

That sounds amazing

2 Likes

Violin is my main instrument, seem to have some talent for it :sweat_smile: It’s fun to play when I feel like it (can’t read notes tho)… And learning the guitar now too :slightly_smiling_face: getting my fingering quite good actually, and a bunch of chords… Instruments are always nice and cool.

3 Likes

Thats cool. My main instrument is guitar and i have been obsessed with the fiddle for 4 years now. Actually its a 5 string fiddle (violin)

3 Likes

I’m super late to the game here! 26 year cellist, violinist, mandolin, banjo, guitar, upright bass and hammer dulcimer. Studying theory keeps my from abusing. Any moment I’m learning or playing is a moment I’m not drinking or using.

2 Likes

I play guitar and bass, and I want to learn to play the cello soon. Music has been essential to my recovery, and I’m probably going to write a short tune immediately after writing this to get my mindfulness back on track for the day. It was difficult at first, because I was always drinking or using thc in most of my past music experience, but now that I’ve re-learned my instruments sober, I feel more connected to them than ever!

I’m going to check out Sonobus, it sounds cool! How did you find a sonobus group, or did you already know them irl?