Any newcomers seeking Help

Just thought that I would throw this out there. I’m over 6 months sober and have worked all the steps. If there’s any newcomers looking to do their AA work or supplement the work you are doing with your sponser or want to hear what my experience was like or even just want a buddy or to know more about the program. I am open to talk here or you can private message me.

10 Likes

Are you just in AA or NA also? I’m new and it would be helpful if I had anyone to speak to experienced in both because I struggled with both.

1 Like

After a couple years of struggling on my own with various lengths of sobriety, never over 1 month, I finally started going to AA meetings. They weren’t as scary as I had thought. But after getting a sponser and doing the work it REALLY got better. I overcame my anxiety and stopped being so restless irritable and discontent. Simple things that used to seem impossible or confusing no longer made me frustrated and angry. I would be willing to help you find a meeting. I did mine over zoom.

4 Likes

Glad your trying to pass on the message i tell my guys that very same thing , keep up the good work .

3 Likes

that’s really nice of you to offer your time, jeff. :heart:

1 Like

Congratulations on your sobriety. Has your experience with recovery been hard?

1 Like

The hardest part was coming to grips that I couldn’t do it alone and I needed help. Step 1 is admitting we were powerless and that our lives had become unmanageable. Those are some pretty fkn profound admissions. Step 4 inventory can stir up a lot of old resentments but the point is to get over those resentments. Resentment is the number one offender and is the main reason why we can’t stay sober with willpower. Of course there were struggles along the way. Like my sponser says “Its not all gonna be strawberries and orgasms” :joy:

4 Likes

I am almost at 2 months sober. The hardest for me is my coworkers. They talk about drinking all the time. Make my anxiety go off.

Thank you for sharing your story. It will help so many people. Even me.

2 Likes

The big book says, beginning at the bottom of pg. 100, that if we are spiritually fit, we are able to do all sorts of things alcoholics are not supposed to do. So after we have completed our steps and have had a psychic change we are removed of our obsession to drink and we able be around drinkers without wanting a drink ourselves. The way we do that is through spiritual closeness with God. When my heart is in the right place, my mind is thinking about being of maximum helpfulness to others and not obsessing over a drink. When my mind is in the right place, I won’t want to take a drink and I won’t have the physical allergy. So the solution to our problem begins in our heart. When we lead with a spiritually fit heart, we won’t be getting drunk. The end of pg 103 says our problems were of our own making and bottles were only a symbol.

3 Likes