Any Sugar Addicts here?

For me, sugar is definitely a drug that I have to regulate consciously. I’ve talked to a lot of people who think the idea of being addicted to sugar is rubbish, and that the crappy feelings of trying not to eat it is just because the body needs it, but nature always intended the amount of sweetness we got to be accompanied by a certain amount of fiber. We have super refined sugar. We’ve taken something from it’s natural state and purified it in order to give us the most momentary satisfaction, though it affects our lives and health negatively and if we try to stop consuming it we have ill effects and crave it.

Sounds like a drug to me.

I think part of what makes sugar so difficult to cut out is that unlike drinking or drugs, you have to eat to live, and sugar is in so many packaged foods. With people so strapped for time, it’s hard to take time to prepare everything from scratch, so they’re getting sugar even if they’re trying to cut out the sweets. And when your brain pathways are altered toward an addiction, even a small amount can set off a set of unconscious reactions that can lead a person to grab sweets. It’s hard. It’s really hard. Especially in the toxic food environment we live in. It’s like @dalex77 was saying about going by the candy aisle being like an alcoholic walking by the liquor at the grocery store, only candy and sweets are in even more places than alcohol and it’s pushed so much more.

4 Likes

Man, I felt this. I relate, big time. It’s so hard. I’m not sure how to go about it really. As you say, abstaining is not that simple. For now, my plan is to just have A LOT of fruit on hand, and when I crave I will eat that instead, I’m not going to buy or bring in any sugary or processed food into the house and I’m going to drink LOTS of water and herbal tea. I think once the day to day habit is changed, it will possibly get easier. I know I eat most of what I do emotionally, out of loneliness, feelings of fear or anxiety. I am going to make the time and put in the effort, because it is important. I care about my health and wellbeing.
Thanks @Chiron

3 Likes

Thanks Angelia :blush: I’m so happy my post and struggle can help others too. We’re in this together! When I first stopped drinking, sugar was a welcomed substitute because ANYTHING was better than having another drink, I knew I just couldn’t, drinking was destroying my sanity! But now, unfortunately, I face this new battle with addiction. Its hard, because sugar doesn’t have the stigma alcohol and drugs do (perhaps rightly so?) but, for me, it makes me mentally and physically sick. I am not my best self when I’m making these poor food choices. I want to feel good. I want to thrive in this wonderful life I’ve been blessed. To do that, I need to tackle this addiction too. Keep checking in with me, and let’s support each other through this! :blush::muscle: I know we CAN do this, I believe it.

1 Like

Hi @Faugxh, thank you for taking the time to respond and for your suggestion. I do need to stop buying it. I’m going to ensure I’m in and out at the supermarket, only getting what I came in for and having a set list of what I need. Its hard cause my roommates buy and eat a lot of sugary treats and processed food. I am not going to let that be my excuse any longer though. I am going to set clear intentions each day, and choose nourishing foods :blush:

1 Like

I have gone back to a book I read awhile back called Bright Line Eating:The Science of Living Happy, Thin & Free by Susan Peirce Thompson. I got some great tips and really helped me with understanding sugar addiction. Will be checking the book myself, and give it another read. Thank you for your words of encouragement.

1 Like

It is tough for me cos I have young kids, and a husband who loves buying in bulk, we literally have kilos of kitkats in the house!

1 Like

One battle at a time, right?

1 Like

Ok that would be my total downfall. All these processed chocolate bars, I must not even think of them! :dizzy_face:

Oohh that would be SO hard. Good on you for acknowledging that though.
Kitkats are a huge weakness of mine. I’m not sure I’ll ever fully have this sugar addiction in check, but I will keep trying. Balance is my goal here. Balance = harmony. The fact that I’m sober is such a beautiful and amazing achievement , that I am able to accept that I am not perfect and there will always be something that I am trying to improve and better about myself and my life and that is a good thing! Whether I have sugar or not. I am growing, evolving, trying my best and, when you’ve always been an all or nothing person like I have, balance is no easy feat.

Wish you all the best @Misokatsu :blush: we’re all in this together.

1 Like

Totally. I was sugar addicted!! Since I stopped drinking I ate tones of sweets and couldn’t stop. Every night over eating and binge eating was normal and made me so unhappy. I struggled a lot. I don’t know what hanged but last few days something shifted and I’m eating ok. I concentrate on having all nutrition values I need during the day and then I don’t need sugat at all actually + I don’t eat before bed which is f*cking miracle :smiley:
I think that the nutritional food is an answer. Last two days I also allowed myself to finally have something sweet and it didn’t end up binging as it would do before. I am very happy and my willpower is so much stronger now. I just pray for things stay this way :hugs:

I am struggling with sugar addiction as well, didn’t really kick in while I was using but since I’ve gotten clean it has become a huge part of my life. I always feel sluggish and it really brings me down. I have started trying to cut it out of my diet and it is incredibly difficult, best of luck to you. Thanks for sharing!

I try to be holistic about it - am I eating enough fruit and veggies? Am I exercising? These things are just as important as not binging. At the moment I am in a starve part of my food cycle, feeling super proud I am not eating any sugar and limiting carbs, rejoicing in my tummy rumbling. Yet I know I will run out of will-power and binge.

It’s good to focus on veggies and fruits. But having a rumbly tummy and being in a starvation state isn’t going to help you. In fact, that’s a perfect storm to go on a binge with those kit kats…

Have you been in or in recovery for the ED?

Feeling sick. Made poor food choices today; and yesterday too if I’m honest. I’ve eaten so much processed sugar, carbs, salt and fat it’s ridiculous. I’ve haven’t been out on a walk, nor practiced yoga or any kind of exercise or movement of late.
This sucks. Not sure what to do. Just going to reset my timer and try again tomorrow. I feel so frustrated and pissed at myself. Why can’t I align what I want with my actions!?!?? I keep telling myself the same thing, setting up plans and never following through. I am disappointing myself. I can’t seem to change my habits/behaviour, I am my own worst enemy. I just want to achieve what I set out to do, because I know it will bring me health and healing. Shouldn’t be this hard, surely :confused::disappointed_relieved:

1 Like

Do you have solid “whys”? Why do you want to exercise and eat healthier? What is your goal?

I am using my “whys” to help me when I get a craving to eat junk food or not exercise. It really does help.

Yeah, I know it will just cause a binge, it has been my life for so long, and yet… It is hard when I do want to lose weight, and there is so much talk about intermittent fasting, but these things tend to send me spiraling. I had counselling for a short time. Your advice about whys was good.

1 Like

Intermittent fasting should be avoided for us suffering with Ed’s. I know it sucks, I’m in the same position as you. Wanting to lose weight, and everyone’s got ideas on how, but they are all bad for people like us.

1 Like

It is ironic, because I am actually really good at not eating for short periods! I still think that somehow I can use my ability to starve for part of the day, and then not binge when it is the eating time. I wonder what weight-lose schemes are good for people who struggle with disordered eating?

I’m not an expert, but I do believe if you think you can starve for minimal periods but not binge, that’s the ED that’s talking. My dietician and many others say this. I dont know which form you’ve suffered with, and theres SO much I could say about this, but I’d suggest looking into intuitive eating. It’s not a weight loss program, but its something even better. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I totally agree, I know in my heart I am just kidding myself, but I still hang on to the idea that I can. I will look at intuitive eating, thanks. In the past I was border-line bulimic (used laxatives, starving, drinking to excess partly to get the hangover to throw up) but episodes were only once every two weeks or so. Nowadays, I don’t purge, but that means I have gained a lot of weight, which I need to lose. So am struggling with that. Thank you for your responses. What is your ED? (If you don’t mind me asking, and if you do mind, feel free to not reply!)