Any Sugar Addicts here?

Hi everyone!

I have 19 months nicotine free and I’m a grateful recovering alcoholic with 14 months of sobriety. Those were tough addictions to overcome. But let me tell you: sugar has taken over my life. When I drank I didn’t care for sugar in the least I’ve lived a somewhat low carb lifestyle for years. But now I feel as though I never really knew true addiction until now.

Is anyone here struggling with this demon as well?

Thanks for listening.

M.

23 Likes

In my first hand experience and observation of other ex-drinkers, increased sugar cravings is par for the course. It’s so hard to ignore the cravings because its everywhere. The more you have, the more you crave; a never ending cycle. But there is hope.

Eating a zero added sugar diet is possible and when you eliminate sugar, you will eliminate the cravings as well (eventually). I’ve found it takes a few weeks before the cravings subside. I’m actually on day 21 of zero sugar myself (again). Its really tough, but I’m doing it.

Congrats on 14 months sober, that is great!

14 Likes

Omg yes my cravings for sure were insane. I pick and choose my sugar intake. Stopped drinking pop(soda) no sugar in coffee or tea rather have a cookie instead if I really need it. I rather eat sweets take a walk or bike ride the next day to work it off rather than pick up Alcohol or a cig that’s for sure. I’ll battle sweets anyday :slightly_smiling_face:

6 Likes

Try sugar free sweets, diet cola, and splenda. Still hits the sweet spot.

2 Likes

You beat this just like you did the nicotine and alcohol… That same drive and motivation… :100: CONGRATULATIONS on that war!!! :blush::tada::sparkler: You replace it with something that is healthy for you… :apple:

3 Likes

Good morning! Thank you for the encouragement. Did you have withdrawal symptoms?

2 Likes

I never cared for sugar while I was drinking either. And once I stopped I didn’t have a huge appetite immediately but lately I have been craving more sweets. I better nip this in the bud before it gets out of hand. Years ago I was able to cut out sugar almost completely so it can be done if you’re diligent.

1 Like

Thank you, Pinky, for replying. Unfortunately, I don’t seem to have the willpower to just have a little bit. When I quit drinking, God seemed to take away my obsession with alcohol. Now I’m calling on Him even more with sugar. :crazy_face:

Hi Angela I’m still battling sugar have my good days and bad. I think your sugar cravings will balance out as time goes on :slightly_smiling_face::yellow_heart:

I have sugar stuffing moments. Didn’t think about being addicted until I read your post and now I’m going :thinking:

Yes. Sugar is hitting me hard right now. My good friend in AA is actually doing a 12 step program with a sponsor and all around sugar consumption. There are A LOT of support groups out there if you think you want to tackle it. We think alcohol is everywhere, and it certainly is abundant, but sugar is literally in everything. It is crazy!

1 Like

Maybe a little irritability, restlessness. Noting like kicking alcohol or nicotine, that’s for sure.

1 Like

Gawd, yes. Same here. Inever cared about sweets, but on Day 31, I’ve been all about sugar. Blasted thru a bigass box of Valentine’s candy watching Netflix! Pathetic! I understand the carbs that convert to sugar is part of out withdrawal. When my dad quit drinking, he did the same. He went from Lemon Drops (slower to eat?) then Red Hots…then sunflower seeds to keep his hands busy. It worked for him so I have faith I will learn, too.
Right now, I’m in the mindset if, “Just eat anything sweet, eat it until I feel sick, and never want to look at it again”.
So far I’m on box #2 in 3 days of Valentine’s candy.
(I blame my kids. Told them they could share it if they took the trash out. They didn’t. A deals a deal)
Fortunately, weight isn’t a thing, but I don’t like the inflammatory effects of sugar, plus my pancreas, teeth, all of that.
Ugh. One addiction at a time.

2 Likes

YES!

I have been sober since 9/22. In place of alcohol I’ve just had a raging sweet tooth which I’ve been happy to feed into by justifying “its better than alcohol”. Recently I feel like it’s been getting a little out of hand with hiding candy just like I would hide alcohol when I drank. So the past 9 days I’ve been working on limiting sugar intake. I probably drink too much diet soda but whatever. Also I bought some sugar free candy off of amazon that I keep frozen and will have a few every day

8 Likes

Yes massive sugar addict here :raising_hand_man:

But it’s better than drinking alcohol so I’ll go with that.

I make sure I brush twice daily, floss and mouthwash

2 Likes

The problem seems to be that I’ve shown less restraint with sugar free as well. But I’m going to try so hard to detox for now. Thank you for the response.

I’m so encouraged by your response! Thank you!

Meaghan! I completely understand! I have to stop telling myself that sugar is better than alcohol. My mindset needs to be that a quick review of the damage being done by sugar is better than the self talk I engage in after I binge sugar. Thank you for your support!!

3 Likes

I’m definitely thinking the 12 steps need to be engaged! Thank you for your support!

1 Like

This is by far the hardest addiction for me! Thank you for the encouraging words!