Any Sugar Addicts here?

Sorry to read you are doing poorly with the sugar, it’s super hard, I feel for you! Describing it as a hamster wheel really hits it on the head I think. Restriction/rules cannot really be the answer as they lead to binges, same for me. I don’t think you necessarily need more information, but do what you’ve done with alc and cigs, look at the reasons why you binge on sugar and try to work on them. I don’t know if you’re journally, going to a 12 step program or doing therapy, but I would consider all these. It’s an addiction like any other in that not the substance is the problem, but the problem is in us. There’s hope in this thought for me.
Other than that, my advise is: limit your access. Don’t buy it, never. Skip that aisle. If you buy it throw it out on the way home. Let your s.o. do the shopping or do it with a friend together and tell them to not let you buy it. Create accountability. Don’t go to ice cream parlours or fairs or whatever. Goes without saying. It seems ridiculous but don’t beat yourself up. Take all the help you can get and would accept for other addictions labelled more seriously.
Good luck!

1 Like

Thanks @Faugxh. I’m feeling better. Have not had any refined sugar for almost 4 days now, and it’s slowly getting easier as the cravings subside. I am going to keep checking in here, and whenever I hear that voice in my head telling me to succumb, I am ignoring it and moving on, no matter what. Because, even though I may crave it in a moment, it’s not what I truly want. My health is more important to me. Getting my hormones back in to balance is my priority. Sugar is not going to bring me true and lasting joy. Thankfully, the cravings only last about 15-20mins and then I’m okay again. Its crazy how readily available sugary-junk-food “treats” are. They’re in our face, everywhere! But my eyes are open, I see them now as another type of poison that I don’t want to partake for I WILL regret it! I would rather suffer the pain of self-discipline than the pain of regret. I’ve gotten off that dam hamster wheel and I’m making choices that heal and nourish my mind, body and soul :heart:

2 Likes

Hello, I agree with @Pman . Even if you should bite your nails to blood, if you just don’t eat ANY SUGAR AT ALL for at least month, you will see that it’s getting better!
After I read some of your texts above, I can tell you that I was in the exactly same stage of addiction. Desperate, powerless, sad, unhappy…etc. All because of the unbelievable amount of sugar I was able to eat. I gained a weight, too and felt like there is no way out.
Then I somehow cut the sugar. I had enough. First few days were horrible. I wasn’t thinking about anything else but food, sweets, sugar. I was also in really bad mood and tired. That’s the withdraw you need to deel with. But I personally needed only 4 days to already feel better. I managed not to eat sugar at all for whole month and afterwards I had something small. It tasted much sweeter than before, I even didn’t like it :smiley:
Since then I managed to over-eat sweets many time again but I have never fall back into such a desperate circle of never ending sweets binging.
Now I am active a lot since lockdown and it makes me eat almost 0 sweets because I can see huge progress with my body and don’t want to lose it. Plus my belly muscles are visible for the probably first time in my life lol. So I’m now eating sweets like a fruit, dried fruit, dark chocolate and the only “rubbish sweet” I allow myself is an ice cream.

It’s a huge change for me when I remember how I went through days when I didn’t eat anything else but sweets for whole day! Now it seems disgusting. Plus it always caused me painful IBS.

1 Like

good read. Keep looking for the solution. It is an addiction, mightier than any I have experienced.

1 Like

I hear u. Personally I find getting the balance right hard. If I restrict, eventually I binge. But if I try to eat a little, that often also leads to a binge. So what to do? For me there has been slow progress by trying to focus on things other than sugar. Exercise, balanced meals, etc. Allowing myself to not feel guilty if I eat a lot of ‘real’ food, such as curry or soup with lots of veggies.

1 Like

I forgot about this book until your post. I haven’t read it, but I remember putting it on my ‘to read’ list, but never got to it. I read his books, ‘Good Calories, Bad Calories’ and ‘Why We Get Fat’ (which honestly is the easy read of the first book) and I liked both of those.

1 Like

Thanks @Misokatsu. The struggle is REAL! I fully agree about focusing on other things. I’m becoming less obsessive about sugar and cravings and just trying to focus on eating regularly and making nourishing choices. Exercise is something I want to increase cause I know it will help. I think a big part of finding success here is establishing healthy routines and habits. Which is hard to do, when in active addiction, but I do know it can be done!

1 Like

Hi @purr thank you for your message, really appreciate the support. And thank you for the book suggestion, I’ve added it to my reading list. I’m so glad to have a place to express all of this too. This forum is wonderful and has helped / is helping me change me life, each day, for the better :blush::heart:

Ohhh I feel you April. This is NOT easy that’s for sure. I am nearly on Day 7 and it’s tough, constantly craving some sugary sweet treat. This is by far the hardest thing I’ve ever tried to get a handle on. Right now I’m feeling kinda down and would love to just reach for some chocolate to feel “better”. But I know I will just regret it and I won’t feel better at all. I will actually feel worse as in sick and regretful.
I know these first few weeks are tough though and then it will get a little easier. I can’t wait for that!

1 Like

This is a very informative video. Might be worth a watch. I wanna get my sugar intake back in check now too it’s a sneaky lal drug.

1 Like

Oh wow, yeah I think that’s a really good idea to go and get it checked April. When I eat too much sugar or fatty/salty foods I get heart palpitations and sometimes if I’ve really binged I will get so anxious and bloated and need to throw up. It’s awful. Sorry to hear about your pain. I hope it’s not your gall bladder or anything else like that. I guess, good news is you can stop eating that food and the symptoms will go away and you’ll feel good and healthy again.

I have a headache right now from sugar withdrawals I think :disappointed:

1 Like

Yuppp. Feel like I need to add over eaters anonymous to my belt.

2 Likes

I woke up wondering where my headache came from and I’m pretty sure it was the super sweet sweet corn I had late last night! Sheesh! Not doing that again!

I too have a sugar addiction. I quit alcohol 10 months ago and did okay with the expected sugar cravings until Christmas. Then I fell into my go to candy ~ peanut M & Ms. I can eat a big bag of them in a couple hours. Each time I had to then suffer that awful sick sluggish feeling. I gained 15 pounds in a month. Finally kicked that habit in May and I’ve lost ten of the 15.

My trick is to not ever have candy in the house. I never walk down the bulk candy aisle. I can resist the small candy at the checkout because I know they won’t satisfy me and my frugal self won’t buy ten small packs of M & Ms. : )

I read all your posts and I am so impressed with your honesty and determination! Thank you for keeping us updated. It’s like reading a book. : ) And when you say “another day one” I think oh no, it’s too strong for her, but then you immediately get focused again and it helps me stay strong. I haven’t had a peanut M & M for two months. Thank you and keep going!

3 Likes

I use those too. It helps. I just have to kick the sugar free energy drinks. Hahaha

Aww thanks for your message @Cigfreed. It has been/is a hard addiction to overcome, that’s for sure. I am feeling good and proud at the moment as I am now nearing Day 8 sugary-treat free. Cravings are at their worst just after I’ve had dinner, but I know they won’t last and I just make a cuppa herbal tea :slight_smile: I’m really glad my posts have helped you stay strong and yes, I will keep going. Despite the challenges I will always try and get better at getting better, that’s the journey.

2 Likes

Feeling really happy right now! Tonight my roommate offered me some chocolate, she bought a large block of it. I said no, and she ate some and it was right in front of me. Saying no was hard at first, but then it was easy. I wasn’t fazed and didn’t even actually think about it again, till just now, hours later I’ve realised I didn’t crave anything sugary tonight! :smiley:

2 Likes

Woo hoo! That’s great news!

1 Like

Having to reset today, and I’m beginning another Day 1. This is okay though. I managed 14 days without binge-eating any processed, refined sugary treats, and I am proud of that. I know that I may not be able to cut out all sugar/treats forever so I am going to keep doing the best I can, each day, one day at a time. In this past 14 days I’ve learnt that I CAN get through cravings and that I feel so much BETTER when I chose healthy whole foods rather than sugary processed foods. Fruit is a much better choice. Going to be kind to myself and accept that I had a real tough night last night, in terms of my mental health and I made the choice to eat a whole lot of chocolate biscuits. Today is a new day. Everything I’ve done so far hasn’t been ruined and was not a waste, in fact it has been SO good for I have learnt I have the strength and ability to say No to myself…to that crazy addict voice in my head. Onwards and upwards!

1 Like

I find it so hard because sugar is such an insidious food. I continue to waver between sugar and cigarettes. Really not doing well with either one. I hate this seesaw!

1 Like

I binge eat, like alcohol. However I’ve got anxiety issues at the mo haven’t felt like eating. The plus side I have lost some unwanted pounds. There is no balance with me, it’s all or nothing :roll_eyes:

1 Like