Anyone else have lasting effects from drugs?

So I was on meth for 3 years. Smoked it and snorted. Honestly the smoking I think is what really messed me up, I didn’t trust my husband or even my kids. But I then decided to quit. Still trying to trust again. Is that a long term side effect? I also don’t trust phones still, I sweat a lot and if I go somewhere I keep an eye on my surroundings.
But the keeping an eye on my surroundings is from training from the women’s shelter. I don’t know all the effects. But I’m sure it’s from that. Anyone else have that? I also read it can take 2-7 years for your body to get back to normal

3 Likes

Well I havent touched that shit for 20+ years and I still clench my jaw in uncomfortable situations and when I’m doing something I dont like to do typically labor work on the job site. Its so bad the dentist says I should wear a mouth guard while working because im wearing down my natural veneer. :man_shrugging: I dont wear it. I try other things. If I keep a toothpick in my mouth, I wont clench. So I do that more often than not.

But the psychological stuff too. Drugs warp your mind a bit.

3 Likes

I altered my consciousness for 54 years. Been clean from opioids and weed for a little over 5 months. My therapist explained how long term opioid use affected my brain. Long story short after 2 decades of heavy use my brain is creating new neural pathways. I recently watched Dopesick they said it takes 2 years for our brains to “normalize”. My only slight issue is sleep. Otherwise feel really good. Hang in there whatever you’re feeling it’s temporary.

1 Like

I relate. I have been off meth for just about four years. Four in a month or so and the long term effect I have is a weird one. Randomly throughout my day my nerves will go wonky on my right side. It starts with goosebumps soley on my right forearm. Followed by the hair standing up. Then there is a surge in the base of my spine, like electricity, that travels up my spin into my neck, cause a quick twitch. It usually last 2-3 mins and I can control the head twitching for a bit til I just have to let it jolt one out. lol. Think like shaking out the willies but only on the right side of your body.

3 Likes

That’s rough. I hope it ends. We definitely fucked our selves up hardly worth the instant gratification. Keeps me fortified to stay straight when I read this. I honestly don’t understand why I’m pretty much okay after long term abuse. Hang in there two way.

2 Likes

When meth was my DOC many years ago, the side effects were brutal. It took aprox 9 months of being completely clean and sober to start feeling somewhat normal when it came to my thinking. I was on alot of crazy meds from the psychiatrist at the treatment centre i was at. I constantly felt like I was on autopilot. Questioning everyone and everything. Paranoid. Emotionally volatile. It was such a bad drug to come off of. Never again.
The long term effects that i have from meth are facial twitches and leg sensitivity. Idk why that is. I havent touched meth in 16 years and my legs have always been sensitive to touch since I got clean from that and i have twitching in my face. Other than that i feel like other things with regards to my thinking has improved.

3 Likes

I’ve been clean from meth for 15 years now and I still find myself clenching my teeth together and moving my tongue around a lot. I dunno if that will ever change. I’ve learn to live with it now, it’s also a reminder to be thankful that I’m clean and sober today.

1 Like