Anyone else notice new habits they gain with sobriety?

I realized ever since I was sober I now listen to music or podcasts a lot. I always have my headphones in and am constantly listening to something. which I never really did when I was drinking. I also started to read again, play video games more and card games more, keep up with cleaning around the house(border line clean freak now :grimacing:) and started to cook at home a lot more. I also discovered how much I love flavored carbonated water, which I couldnt stand when I was drinking alcohol. I have a night and morning routine now which I never had and now I’m starting a short term vegan diet which I wouldve laughed at a couple months ago if someone suggested I go vegan. I had to take a moment today, because I suddenly realized all of these great habits I started to pick up unintentionally. It’s really heartwarming and makes me realize how great sobriety can be and how meaningful silly things like that can feel. Anyone else notice anything new with their sobriety journey?

7 Likes

I have picked up good habits and bad. More music in my life now, going to go to the library and get books to read. Same with video games and have thought about going vegetarian. Also drink alot more water that I used to which was no water at all. Bad habits however I have developed a need for energy drinks. It is very weird but I think as your sober you are thinking clearing and understand more about what you need.

1 Like

I feel you on the energy drinks, I started to drink soda a lot more as well too. Trying to replace them with sparkling water, but nothing can beat a dr pepper :sweat_smile:

3 Likes

May have to go for the flavoured sparking water as the suger is way too high in energy drinks makes me feel better though so I think OK for now to get through the worse withdrawal symptoms.

1 Like

That’s great! Sometimes I feel like quitting smoking is more difficult than quitting drinking… only sometimes tho lol. 80% plant based diet sounds really nice actually. Seeing how this plant based month goes I may try doing that afterwards. Btw love seeing another cat profile pic! :smile_cat:

2 Likes

in my early days in sobriety i used to walk for miles and play my walkman tapes that was a few years ago now.,went back to the gym exercise was a good habit in my recovery and meetings of course .

2 Likes

I’ve developed a need for energy drinks as well!