Anyone fighting with gaming addiction here?

… Or just me? I mean I’m fighting with alkoholism mostly but gaming is my addition to my collection… of addictions. :sweat_smile:

2 Likes

Yes! I was a competitive Battlefield 3, 4 and R6 Siege player on PS3 and PS4. The first competitive gaming experience I had with Wolfenstein: Enemy Territory on PC when I was younger. I always played games on the Playstation in combination with softdrugs and harddrugs. During my burnout and depression I was kicked from the clan, because of my behaviour. I was also rock bottom that time. When I left the rehab center I couldn’t enjoy gaming anymore because it triggered me a lot for using drugs, because I thought if I use some drugs it was better for my aim and concentration. Sometimes I play a sandbox game like RDR2 or GTA5, for fun… No online multiplayer anymore! And when I play games I always set the alarm clock on 1 hour, when the alarm goes off, i turn off the PS4 immediately! After the alarm I immediately going to do something else… That is what I do during the days I work. Sometimes on a lazy sunday I play a few hours longer… Casual, not competitive.

The kill streak bonus, headshot bonus and all those bonuses that pop up on your screen work on the same way on your brains as drugs are doing. Very addictive if you play online multiplayer.

I thought I was social with my headset on my head, talking to other gaming addicts… I didn’t do any social activities anymore with my IRL friends… when I look back at that point of my life… what did I do? Sitting inside my house, with my headset, shouting call outs, swearing because I died in-game, watching Twitch streams to learn from other competitive players, using drugs… Crazy… there is so much more to experience in the real world than in the gaming world! I was living in a bubble of gaming addicts. Now I prefer to walk through a real city instead of Los Santos. A real beach instead of Paracel Storm or Lost Islands in BF4.

3 Likes

I’m much less of a compulsive/addicted gamer when I’m sober as well, I kind of view it as a “secondary” addiction to watch out for but that I pretty much moderate without having to try any more. I did consider going to gamers anonymous 12 step meeting when I saw it at a recovery clubhouse I was visiting out of town though!

Best wishes to those struggling with gaming/internet addiction, I have lost control and overdone it in the past and it affected my sleep, mood, relationships, behavior- it is serious business.

3 Likes

Thx for respond guys. Good to know I’m not alone here. :muscle:

I am fighting gaming addiction… you are not alone.

1 Like

Maybe lets share here some helpful ideas about this addiction and how to figth it :thinking:
How do you guys feel about switching to some games that involve walking outside? For example I’m playing now only pokemon go and it helps me going outside and do some other activities like visitig swimming pool /sauna or cycling.

I can not play games at all because it sucks me in and I can’t escape. The world around me disappears…

2 Likes

Oh I know that feeling. I guess it was too hard for me to totally stop playing anything I guess. I’m impressed you were able to do this :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

Every second has been a fight. I am game free 30 days.

8 Likes

You still gamefree?

1 Like

I never considered myself addicted to gaming but I would always drink while I played. It is weird but now that I dont drink, I play WAY less. Just no real desire to log on.

I always gamed sober, so I really miss gaming :confused: but it gets better over time

I had a relapse but back on track.

1 Like

Nice, how many days you got now

I have been 40 days game free!:raised_hands::raised_hands:

1 Like