Anyone have suggestions for a good book to read?

I just looked at the website “hip sober” (and follow her on instagram). I loved reading her posts and she also has a list of books she recommends as well as the reasons why and how they are relevant to recovery. Many of them are mentioned here but she also discusses some other books that are not necessarily alcohol focused but personal development.

1 Like

Thanks for the list, just on time when I’ve ran out of memoirs. Half way through ‘saturation’, pretty good so far.

1 Like

Would you enjoy something outside of the realm of recovery / addiction / sobriety?

No doubt these are helpful and inspiring, but I find it hard sometimes to stay in that mindset or world. I prefer to get lost in fiction, though non-fiction is good too.

Fall River Dreams

Yes, I’ve remembered that I love to read. And I don’t have to be drinking a beer to enjoy a book😉

1 Like

Me too! I burned through three books in just as many days. Better to use my resulting insomnia to get into a good book, rather than think about what I’m “missing”

1 Like

Memoirs are my favorite too!!! Have you read, Unwasted-My Lush Soberity by Sacha z. Scoblic? I loved it! Read it twice now. I’m definitely going to check out some of your suggestions as well! :sunflower::two_hearts:

A good website that typically offers new, slightly used and well used for extremely good prices is Discover Books. I’ve found almost every book I’ve searched for on that site and I get the used ones for about $4.

Augusten Burroughs wrote two memoirs that chronicle his alcoholism: Dry and Running with Scissors. Pretty good reads about a pretty harrowing journey.

1 Like

Oh wow, how have I left those out? Both are amazing!!

1 Like

Currently: Saramago’s “The Year of the Death of Ricardo Reis”.

There is a book called “Can’t Hurt Me” by David Goggins. It has changed my life and taught me that we do not have to be victims of our circumstances. Extremely powerful book. He has an Instagram, you can find him @davidgoggins and you will get an idea of what to expect in the book.

I’m currently reading “Own your past, change your future” by Dr. John Deloney. Has anyone read this? What he is saying seems to make a lot of sense, for me at least. I believe there are a lot of things in my past that I’ve never greived properly and that may have caused me to try and bury my issues with drinking which in turned caused other issues or bricks in the back pack as he explains.

I’ve read “Stop drinking alcohol” by Craig Beck but that one did not speak to me quite as much. I can see that it would help some greatly though.

I’ve also recently finished “Atomic Habits” by James Clear and I think a lot of the stuff he teaches can be helpful.

Interested in what has helped you.

4 Likes

Shuggie Bain it’s not a self-help but a novel that I found insightful.