Anyone here have anger issues?

Anger issues have a lot to do with a lack of self awareness. A lack of self awareness makes it impossible to have empathy which allows you to anticipate how your actions are going to effect a person or situation. Dale Carnegie calls this “Going around kicking over the bee hives and wondering why you’re not getting any honey!”

1 Like

62 days clean after such a long addiction is a lot. Don’t focus on your past relapses, be proud of yourself and stand tall :v:t2:

2 Likes

I had an anger relapse yesterday. Totally blew my mind. The blackout came back. The rage. The need for revenge. I caught myself and i was already on my way to a meeting. Then i went thru withdrawel and it was toxic

I’m OK now. But i guess starting over is no big deal. This is hard work but it’s worth it

1 Like

Yes - I do have anger issues (seem to take it out on the people closest to me like my parents and siblings). It did get much worse as the years added on to my addiction. I also noticed that drinking caused my ph balance to get out of whack and I tended to run hot. I had been working on cooling my body with cooling foods and did noticed that this did start to help but it really got so much better once I stopped drinking all together.

I’m hoping that as my body heals the anger will disappear completely. I am now more in aware of it and am able to control by addressing the emotion before it becomes an issue. God bless my family for putting up with me and helping me through all of this.

3 Likes

I work really hard to avoid anger. So much so i do my best to avoid triggers.
People, movies, situations even music.
It’s exhausting.
But I’m working it

3 Likes

I’m OK now. But today, i reset the button on my anger sobriety, i popped a blood vessel in my eye… i had to talk it out with the person… last on my list to piss me off. I’m thru it now.
I reset my anger sobriety day to today

3 Likes

I hope this all gets better with time…. Have you thought about going to therapy?? I’m in it now and I’m telling you that it works for me… you should give it a try

2 Likes

I am involved in therapy. Many years now. It’s hard. I have my sponsor. It’s just something i know needs lots of time and hard work

2 Likes

I would like to share an experience.
I’m attending group therapy and a part of it is dealing with anger and high emotions. We had 4 meetings so far and I took a lot out of it for me:

• The real life experience that I’m not alone and others have similar experiences is not only relieving but also calming me in general. I’m not alone.
  • Anger is often triggered by hurt feelings, hurt boundaries, shitty behaviour that leaves needs neglected, is not respectful or blames for things we did not cause.
  • Other people not meeting their responsibilities and instead putting their issues on us is effecting us in a bad way. Anger is a response to an inappropriate behaviour.
  • Anger tells us that there is something wrong in a situation, that our values or feelings or needs are hurt. Lashing out undermines the possibilty to dig behind the impuls of anger or rage and name what’s really going on inside me. So stepping away, pausing before reacting makes perfectly sense … because when I articulate what’s wrong for me in a situation there is a possibility that the other one listens and understands. Not a high one from my experience, but one worth trying and practicing.
  • Telling my anger to fuck off because I need my limited energy for better battles works for me. Bonus: I’m happy when I use the saved energy to pamper myself or do something I really want to do.

Maybe my experiences help someone too so I share them here :sunflower:

6 Likes

Appreciate this…great advise and another outlook…thank you so much for sharing :heart:

2 Likes

So grateful I saw this post! Thank you!

3 Likes

Struggling with anger here. Especially recently and I just don’t know how to stop lashing out. Yelling and tightening my grip and pushing. I feel pushed over the edge by my two year old because she just won’t listen to me and I don’t know how to communicate things effectively to her because it feels like she just doesn’t get it. I feel like a horrible father right now because I lashed out in anger. It has been a tough day.