Anyone here recovering from self harm addiction?

If so, care to share your story?Why did you start?

@Kakimime1 is the first one that comes to mind. You can read her thread here.

I'm sad. When I'm sad, I'm gonna vent in here rather than overloading my friend:

2 Likes

Well I mean I self harm. But I’m not ready to recover from it. Trying to go a year clean from pills then will try self harm if I’m up to it.

1 Like

wishing you good luck!

I used to burn my inner bicep. I started when I was about 14. I come from a very religious family. I struggled with the fact that I’m a lesbian. It made me depressed. I felt inadequate, like damaged goods. This was in the mid 1980s. At first I cut myself. I was afraid that one day I’d cut too deep. So, I started burning myself. I did it to numb the emotional pain I was feeling. I’m also an alcoholic and an addict. I don’t have a date for my self harm but it’s been about 3 years since I’ve done it.

3 Likes

Welcome @vixstee!

1 Like

thank you for sharing! i started cutting back when i was 13 due to an undiagnosed mental disorders, year later i found out i was bi and i didn’t know what to say to my homophobic parents. A few days ago i almost fainted while cutting and i couldn’t find my phone to call for help. That did lead to the realisation that im putting my life in danger. Congratulations for the 3 years, wishing you luck on your way to heal!

2 Likes

thank you for sharing!its much appreciated!

You’re welcome and thanks. I’m sorry you’re going through that. I know how it feels all too well. I had to cut my finally off all together for my own mental health. I thought burning was making me feel better at the time. All it did was leave scars behind to remind me of what I’ve done to myself. Keep reaching out here. I’m hoping that you’re ready to stop the vicious cycle. It’s not easy but it’s totally worth it!

1 Like

Me. Been addicted for about 7 years now. I started because I lacked control in everything else, but found I could control the pain. It went from there and got progressively worse over time. Currently at the longest I’ve ever been clean since starting, at 22 days.

2 Likes

Struggled with it over the years, starting in middle school. 15 months clean from it and 10 months from alcohol.

Later I might find time to elaborate, just thought I’d say hi. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Congratulations on that goal!! Thank you for passing by my post

22days is great!Small steps matter, don’t give up, i believe in you

I started self harming from my dad passing away along with my great grandma less than 2 months apart of their passing I picked up the habit of self harming then I got bullied and was sent to a institution about 4 or 5 times then got sent to a residential stay institution they kept me for 4 months I got out of the habit I’ve been clean 2 years and 3 months but recently my mind has been back to the thoughts and I want to go back to it… I don’t know what to do anymore…

2 Likes

I don’t even remember why. Mostly mental health issues.

I remember I accidentally cut myself but after a few seconds I was like, wait, this isn’t that bad. Then I started doing it a lot for probably like a year or so. I think a bit overAt some point I was suicidal. After my fourth time in the hospital, I stopped for good. This was all after I was assaulted twice and so it’s been really hard. But it’s still so important not to go back, you know? As of now, I’ve been over a year, 400 days maybe? Without it. Its still really hard especially cause of my anxiety cause I have a tendency to scratch when I’m nervous and I’m still working on that. But it’s a journey. One I hope to never lose.

3 Likes

I have skin picking disorder. I started when I was 14 and now I am 21. So yeah, it has been years already. Everything started due to bullying at school and a terrible selfsteem. I never felt enought, so I pick my skin to feel less anxiety and also, I feel like it is also self harm. Like a punishment. I just hope that if someone is having the same as I did, that they recover as soon as possible. Everyone deserves to feel comfortable and happy with their own skin!

1 Like

Thank you for sharing!Wishing you good luck!

2 Likes

Welcome to this lovely community! I know I’m late on that lol.

1 Like