Apps, Blogs, Podcasts and Other Media

In addition to going to AA meetings, I have found that reading other people’s stories of recovery through blogs, listening to sobriety-based podcasts and using a few apps has really helped me on my on road to recovery. Below are some of the ones I’ve found and/or use. Please feel free to add any that you like!

Apps

1. Sober Time - Sobriety Counter - I found this website, talkingsober.com, through the Sober Time app. I use the app to count the length of my sobriety. The app also features a daily message to keep me motivated. Find it at Google Play.

2. Sober Grid - “Sober Grid connects you instantly with local sober people nearby, as well as our global sober social network.” Find it at Google Play or iTunes.

3. Sober Tool - Sober Tool provides messages based upon your current issue/problem. Example: There is a group of messages to help you if you are thinking of relapsing. Find it at Google Play or iTunes.

4. Daily Reflections - This app provides the Daily Reflections of AA just as you would find them in the Daily Reflections book. Find it at Google Play.

Blogs

1. I Fly at Night by Laura McKowen - “Hey, there. I’m Laura. I’m a mama, writer, light-seeker and recovery warrior. I believe we desperately need each other’s most honest stories—to know that we are not alone, to learn how to move through life, to remember who we are. I write here about my struggle with addiction, my journey to sobriety, motherhood, and love of all kinds.”

2. Hip Sobriety by Holly Whitaker - “I’m Holly. Professionally, I am sobriety coach and teacher, writer, speaker, co-host/co-producer of the Home Podcast, Kundalini yoga and mediation instructor, and I run this thing called Hip Sobriety. My life’s mission is to fix the mess that is addiction & addiction recovery. I am just one of many who believe that we must end the stigma, shame, criminalization and marginalization; promote alternative pathways to recovery; and work together across a diverse set of belief systems, modalities, and barriers in order to do so. I deeply believe that sobriety is an inspiring, empowering, and life affirming choice, and that we are living in such a time where more and more individuals will come to decide for it.”

3. Walking in Sober Boots - “On September 23, 2015, I traded in my drinking shoes for a pair of sober boots. I won’t rehash my story here.I do my best to take life as it comes and I’ve found that when I do that, I don’t have reasons to drink. You’ll find story’s about my experience, strength, and hope on these pages. You’ll also find stories about my struggles. Because, lets be honest, there are days when it just isn’t that easy.”

Just a quick note on blogging: A lot of people recommend keeping a journal during recovery. In that vein, I found that blogging is really helpful. In addition to getting my thoughts down, I also feel like I could be helping at least one other person out there who is trying to get or stay sober. I didn’t want to list my own blog above because that seems a little strange to me, but if you want to check it out, then click here. Also, most of the podcasts below come with their own blogs and resources.

Podcasts
I love Podcasts! I listen to them every day on my way to and from work or a meeting or anywhere! I have only listened to one of these (HOME Podcast), but I’ll list the others that I found for informational purposes. Just know that I can’t give an opinion about the quality of the content for the others. You can find podcasts in various places. Most have their own websites. You can find many of them through Google Play. Or, like me, you can use podcast player app. I use Pocket Casts, which I believe costs a little but there are definitely lots of free ones out there. Just check Google Play or iTunes to see what they offer.

1. HOME Podcast - “A show that takes up the big questions of life through the lens of addiction. We explore relationships, life, love, and the benefits of sobriety.” This podcast is hosted by Laura McKowen and Holly Whitaker whose blogs are linked above. I just love it! Again, it’s the only podcast on this list that I’ve listened to so far. The rest are just for your information.

2. Recovered Podcast - “This is like your Alcoholics Anonymous (AA) meeting in your pocket. This is the podcast where we see life through a 12 step lens. This is a show about people who have found a solution to their addiction problem.”

3. Recovery Elevator - “Here’s an idea. When you’re a closet alcoholic who’s quit drinking more times than you can count, start a podcast to hold yourself accountable as publicly as possible. Share your struggles, your triumphs, and every lesson you’re learning along the way. While you’re at it, invite others to share their stories of addiction and recovery so that you can learn from them and be reminded: YOU ARE NOT ALONE. Getting sober is just the beginning. Staying sober, and then becoming the person I know I’m meant to be is the real adventure. Join me?” Check out the website as this looks like so much more than just a podcast!

4. The SHAIR Podcast - “My name’s Omar but everybody calls me “O”. I am the host and founder of The SHAIR Podcast, SHAIR is an acronym for Sharing Helps Addicts in Recovery! It’s a podcast where recovering addicts and alcoholics share their life changing success stories. The battles against drugs and alcohol, the wreckage it caused in their lives, when they hit rock bottom, and finally their inspiring journey into recovery up until today. My hope is that these stories will inspire our listeners to find recovery and learn to live clean and sober one day at a time.”

5. Since Right Now - "BECAUSE sometimes it’s enough to know that someone else understands what you’re going through. Because while I’m not anonymous I respect those who are. Because accepting the stereotypes and stigma is not for anyone. We (at this point, I) are not here to proselytize or challenge we’re here to support those who need it but moreso those who want it. I’m not suggesting this is enough and I’m not suggesting this is all—but it’s a start.

6. Sober Guy Radio - “Sober Guy Radio focuses on living a positive, healthy, sober lifestyle. Stop drinking, stop using drugs, and start living.”

7. Recovery 2.0 - “Join in as addiction and recovery expert, Tommy Rosen interviews leaders in the field of addiction and recovery, spiritual teachers, medical doctors, nutritionists, yoga and meditation teachers and wisdom keepers all shedding light on living beyond addiction. Tap into new perspectives on addiction and cutting-edge philosophies and practices to heal and thrive on your amazing path of recovery.”

8. The Sobriety Network - “The ‘Sobriety Network’ is a Recovery Podcast with Bryan Edmund. Subscribe to our show & spend some time with me & a guest each week discovering tips, tools, resources, inspiration, motivation, & practical strategies for living sober in recovery.”

Whew! I think that’s it for now. I hope you all find this stuff useful!

7 Likes

So awsome of you to write all that out! Thanks a lot! Inspired to try some of these out!

Have u checked it out yet? Thinking I might download it!

Yes! Please let me know!

Since Right Now is my absolute favorite podcast! Haha, although it’s the only podcast I’ve ever listened to.

1 Like